Windows constantly "unable to apply updates" on boot

Now that seems like a good idea.

Following this suggestion, along with the GPO configuration for deferring feature updates. Will report findings.

port 80: vulnerable: slowloris

OH THE HORROR!

not the best idea. as they tend to be pre builds and can be buggy.
they are dev images that can be wiped and replaced, so never meant for a daily driver.

Can I do the same thing with the latest “general availability” build, for lack of a better term?

This is usually what I do at work as I don’t trust windows update on its own to do feature updates for the employees at my workplace.

1 Like

I’d download 20H2 and run the install over the top of it.

You can do that and keep apps, settings, etc.

There may be an update to Windows update you are missing or something, but the above is probably the path of least resistance to just making the problem go away with the minimum of hassle imho.

It failed.

I raged and just started playing games, I’ll reformat later.

3 Likes

21H1 is ready to deploy by now and very stable on my PC. My comment says 20H2 or 21H1 anyway. Going the prerelease route would eliminate the hassle from updating 20H2 to 21H1 in a month or so.

I agree with @SgtAwesomesauce on this. Windows is almost entirely worthless to me; thus having to reinstall windows because of a virus is trivial… nothing of value will be lost. I don’t even have it on the same drive as Linux. Really my only reasons for using Windows are a) because the license was included with my ThinkPad, and b) because school requires me to use Windows for proctoring during online tests. Heck I wouldn’t even want to have to use the proctoring shit on my personal computer that has my personal stuff on it anyway. Finally Windows’ antivirus software is often worse than Windows itself in terms of privacy and bloat.

2 Likes

Are you running full disk encryption by any chance?

I had a similar issue (I think 1809 → 1909) and did absolutely everything I could find. Repairs, ISO updates, the works. I finally unencrypted the disk, ran through the ISO process again and it worked. Re-encrypted and subsequent version updates have worked fine :man_shrugging: I think the rebooting into non-Windows bootloader was fucking it somehow.

nope

3 Likes

@SgtAwesomesauce this is what worked for me. Not a complete wipe but looked like it installed the newer version over the older one instead of updating what was there (a nuanced distinction I guess).

It took much longer than an update but worked and I didn’t have to reconfigure it afterwards, or re-download games, etc.

1 Like

Sounds good. I’ll have a go at it.

In all fairness, this install is a SSD-transplant from my threadripper to my 3900x. I figured I might have some problems, but I didn’t think this would be the outcome.

2 Likes

Happened to me on a pretty vanilla system a few months after initial install. I think it’s just Windows roulette.

1 Like

Had a good chuckle reading this thread. I’ve had this happen to me and more with windows, couldn’t relate more lmao

1 Like

Yeah, I just ragequit and gpo’d away updates. They’re now waiting on a non-existent wsus server.

1 Like

turns out i made this problem happen.
i disabled some of the services windows relys on to do its update.
so maybe if you have been disabling services.
put them on manual rather than disabled, while you do your update.
reboot once your updates are applied and disable the services again if you want.