Windows build - please help

Not sure how helpful this will be for OP but as far as New World goes I get 45-65 fps with my setup. I dont think you need an overly tanky gpu to play at 1080p

3800X, 16GB ram, GTX 1080, 3440x1440p monitor.

2 Likes

1440p would be my original suggestions:

6700xt or 6800xt from AMD

RTX 3070ti or RTX 3080 from Nvidia

It’s really just about what you can find.

RTX 3060 can “cheat” and use DLSS to do 1440p in AAA titles that support that and also works for less demanding titles

edit:

But at this price point: 5800x + mid-range GPU → you might as well start looking at pre-builts too cause depending on your luck that can be cheaper or cost the same, due to shortages and price hikes everywhere

2 Likes

I mainly recommended the 5800X because OP also want’s run VM´s.
Because if this was purely about the gaming side of things,
then i would have recommended the 5600X or Intel platform i5-10600K instead.

3 Likes

I agree with ya. He needs those cores for VMs

2 Likes

This all depends on if you can win the newegg shuffle. Currently budget is tricky unless you go APU, but the 5700G would leave quite a bit of money on the table. So here are a few suggestions:

CPU

Part Price Comment
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X $749 Best consumer CPU for your money, 16c32t
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X $399 Fewer cores, but still a good price
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G $319 Slightly weaker than the 5800X but has internal GPU

The 5700G cannot really drive 1440p, but it can do 720p comfortably and would allow for a GPU passthrough setup if you buy a GPU. It would also allow you to weather this batshit crazy GPU storm.

Intel has basically nothing that isn’t already better in AMD camp for 8+ cores, but their Core i5 11400 with 6 cores is really competitively priced. Unfortunately that would be too weak for your use case.

Memory and Storage

For memory, any 2x32 GB @ 3600 MHz kit.

For storage, 2TB NVMe for ~$200. Don’t bother with mechanical harddrives anymore, they are only good for bulk storage. Better to buy a second / larger NVMe, or a slightly cheaper SATA SSD - though, there is not a big price difference between 4TB SATA SSD and 4TB NVMe SSD.

Motherboard

Part Price Comment
Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master $379 Passively cooled, heck yeah!
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro $269 Not passively cooled, but good for VRMs
Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro V2 $189 All you need, even for the 5950X

I’m pretty happy with the Gigabyte Aorus line and they have been good for my purposes, but look more at the price ranges than any particular brand. A $150-$200 B550 or $200-$250 X570 should be your best bet.

Graphics card

Part Price Comment
AMD Radeon 6800 XT $1400+ Okay at even 4k
Nvidia GeForce 3070 Ti $1200+ Barely does 4k justice
AMD Radeon 6700 XT $850+ A little more budget but is a champ at 1440p
AMD Radeon 6600 XT $650+ Can do 1440p@60 Hz

Prices suck right now, and will keep on sucking for another two-three years. To drive 1440p I’d recommend a 6700 XT or 3070 / 3070 Ti, or above. If you plan on moving to Linux gaming then AMD cards would be the better option, otherwise go with whichever is cheaper, which also seem to be AMD right now :slight_smile:

Case and PSU

You should go with 750W+ and any case you prefer. I recommend the Meshify C for that, personally.

Screen

The only real question is whether or not to go 4k. This all depends on how many computers you will burn through with this screen.

If you buy 1440p, you will most probably want to upgrade your screen again to 4k once you buy a new graphics card in 2025 at the latest. 1440p right now is a stopgap and the gamer standard will be 4k very soon. 4k will last you a decade, at least, buying a 1440p will make little sense beyond 2023 or so.

Also, remember that you can easily drive the desktop on a 4k screen and game at a 1080p resolution, while 1440p only gives you a 720p resolution.

Example build

Here is one build picked together, I included a screen and a 5800X for now. It breaks your bank slightly, but this particular combination will give very solid PC parts. Upgrade to a 5950X if you can, it is just so much worth it. Also, more RAM if you can.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V7zT8J

Also, see the description in this Youtube Vid for another decent build:

3 Likes

Woah, much appreciated. I’ve decided I’m going to buy it piece by piece starting with the mother board. I’m hoping I can just transfer my 16gb memory initially and continuously upgrade the box. Thank you for all the great suggestions.

Since current GPU prices are highly inflated, it will be difficult to cram any GPU into your budget while doing justice to the rest.

As others have suggested, take a close look at AMD 5700G. It’s a pretty good CPU with a built-in GPU that is good enough for modest gaming. Or maybe an i7/i9 with its on-board graphics (especially 11 series).

On-board gpus are not excellent, but they work pretty well with older games, and you can run many modern games at reduced settings.

If you want to upgrade later, then adding a discrete GPU card will be easy enough. With any luck, prices might normalize a bit in the future.

For a Windows build, I would recommend 32 GB minimum, with 64GB being “not too much”.

PCPartPicker is an excellent web site for assembling your parts list. It’s better than a spreadsheet for adding up prices for all of the pieces.

Oh, one more thought… there is a lot of misinformation about cooling out there. The thing that actually matters is the surface area of the radiator; NOT whether it is liquid or air. Noctua’s largest tower coolers work as well as a 240mm liquid cooler in benchmarks.

Air coolers last longer, if you plan to keep your PC for many years. There is no liquid to leak after several years.

Liquid coolers move most of the weight from the mobo to the case, which could be important for portability. Hanging a heavy air cooler off of the motherboard places a lot of stress on the board, especially when combined with vibrations from moving it around. This is not a big problem for just moving your case around your house or office – but it could add up if you travel frequently.

Put all of your desired parts into PCPartPicker and go from there.

4 Likes

Minor thing to add to the above; never think you can just “upgrade” ram by mixing kits later.

There’s absolutely no guarantee that will work or be stable. Always max that out first of you immediately think you’ll want more later

2 Likes

Great advice, I always thought liquid cooling was kinda suspect. Seems like too many points of failure to me. I’ll definitely keep what you said into consideration when I buy new parts. 32gb of memory would be incredible, 16gb seems to be more than enough atm. I run simple python/c scripts (cybersecurity student) && still learning the ropes.

Thanks again for all the great info. Maybe I’ll make a bot to check PCPartPicker prices. That’d be a fun study.

Best regards.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll make sure to search for compatibility info on the manufacturer’s website. I kind of just assumed all memory just worked out of the box. lol

Best regards.

1 Like

Clarification: even if you buy the exact same model, from the same brand, twice, they might not work together, even if it’s definitely compatible with your setup individually and is said to be so by the manufactures

Validation of modules working as a set is why kits price don’t translate to:

price of individual stick * unit price

** This is a separate issue from checking if the Ram is compatible with your motherboard

2 Likes

Not sure what the current US prices on the new RX6600 gpu’s are.
But for 1080p it is a perfectly fine card.
I know those cards arent particularly great value for money compared to how msrp prices of,
comparable positioned gpu´s used to be before the entire shortage of chips etc began.
However this is simply what the situation is today,
and the situation that we will likely be stuck with for at least another few years to come.
Because i don’t really see gpu prices go down anytime soon.

1 Like

Maybe it is just me, but I think that discrete GPUs are overrated. Sure, they are tiny supercomputers and its amazing all the math they can do in a blink of the eye, but the pressure to constantly buy newer and more expensive cards is not a “must”.

Most of the actually good games are at least a decade old, and they run fine on integrated GPUs. As do many newer games at lower settings. Do lower settings detract from the fun of a game? Maybe for some people, but it doesn’t really matter to me.

Here is a visual demonstration of why integrated GPUs are a fine way to make a budget build, especially when GPU prices are so crazy:

(Fine Print Department: That said, I do have a fancy new GPU in my current machine, but I certainly would not spend my last k-buck on such a thing. In the hierarchy of computer needs, a discrete GPU is at the very top of the stack – the least important part.)

3 Likes

Overall, computers are maybe 20% faster today than Haswell (i7-4xxx) series in 2013. Yours is in the middle of that range. If you are satisfied with your current number of cores, then there may be little advantage in upgrading CPU or motherboard.

Upgrading memory from 16GB will boost performance for most people.

Today’s NVMe SSDs are generally faster than spinning rust. For certain, any SSD will have faster access times (so Windows will boot faster).

The integrated GPU in your i7-8700 may be the weakest link, and that depends on the workload. If you mostly want to play games, then adding an inexpensive GPU card (and extra RAM) might be your best bang-for-the-buck. The trick, of course, is in FINDING an “inexpensive GPU” during the current madness… which brings us back to your original concept of a 5700G with new mobo.

Bottom line is that this is a TERRIBLE year to replace your entire computer unless you feel that you must.

1 Like

If you are interested in a 6600 XT card here is a good deal (as of 11/7/2021)

AX Bundle RX 6600 XT Gaming Graphics Card with 8GB GDDR6 Memory, RDNA 2, and AX HDMI 2.1 UHD 48 Gbps 4k@120Hz/8K@60Hz

$739.65$

FREE Delivery Tue, Nov 9

Only 3 left in stock - order soon.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.