Windows Black Screen of Death - Please Help

When I boot up my PC the Windows logo appears for slightly longer than usual then proceeds to a black screen with no cursor, the screen also appears to look like its turning itself on and off ( Flickers between 2 shades of black - This happens once or twice then sticks to the lighter shade of black). So having this happen to me, I decided to back all my files up onto an external hard drive and buy a new internal hard drive thinking that this was the fault. I put a fresh Windows 7 onto the hard drive and started downloading the drivers I needed. After downloading drivers for my graphics card I was asked to restart my PC. Once the PC had restarted the same delayed windows logo appears then proceeding to a black screen.
I am able to start the computer in safe mode with everything looking to run fine except the screen seems a bit stuttery although this could be because of safe mode.

PC Specs:
AMD FX 8320
Asus M5a97 R2.0 Motherboard
2x4gb Kingston hyperx RAM
XFX r9 270 GPU

My personal thoughts are that the GPU has died although maybe can give me a solution to why this is happening or they can verify that it has potentially died.

Thanks for your time on reading my problem! Its much appreciated! More details can be given when asked.

After downloading drivers for my graphics card I was asked to restart my PC. Once the PC had restarted the same delayed windows logo appears then proceeding to a black screen.

Try downgrading the GPU drivers, it looks like that might be the problem.

Good luck!

Thanks for this suggestion, although unfortunately it did not work. Is there anything else you would suggest?

Had this myself try Ctrl-Alt-Del or Ctrl-Shift-Esc. If Ctrl-Alt-Del brings up that menu, click on task manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc is the keybinding for task manager). Kill the windows explorer task under "Details". Then click File, "Run new Task", and type in "exploer.exe". The lock screen should appear. Then run a registry cleaner (Like ccleaner). If the key bindings don't do anything, than you probably have a corrupted entry in your registry. I have a fix for that too, but let us know if that works.

Also, it can't hurt to borrow someones GPU to test your theory.

I had a similar experience and had to reinstall windows.

I have tried this but nothing happens when I press CTRL-ALT-DEL, I have also tried reinstalling Windows which did work but once I downloaded and installed GPU drivers it goes to the black screen. So I tried the same thing but with older drivers, this did not work either.

My guess is that your installing a bad driver. Try the drivers from AMDs web sight. Use Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode before you try installing the new drivers.
If that doesn't work, then here are my followups.

Try your GPU in someone else's computer.

Update your bios from here. I hear this helps a lot of people.

Try your gpu in the PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black) slot just to see if it will work.

Check if all the power leads are plugged into the gpu. If they are plugged in, get a voltmeter to check the connections. Here's a diagram.

Okay, I used the Display Driver Uninstaller and this strangely did work I was able to logon to my user with no black screen what so ever. I then installed the new GPU drivers and restarted my PC and the black screen appeared. I tried to uninstall the drivers but I get this message:

Although I can just use the DDU you have shown me, I thought this may help you to determine what the problem is. I will continue to work my way through the list and will post my results.

Uninstall the drivers again using DDU. Open "Add/Remove Programs" under control panel and remove any amd driver software for the gpu (just to make sure). Then delete these directories.

C:/AMD/support/14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql
or
C:/AMD/support/14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-32-dd-ccc-whql

Then you can install the new amd drivers.

Open device manager and see what the "Display adapter" is called. Then upload the Events tab under properties.

Edit: Do you mean black screen in normal windows (not just safe mode).

I was unable to find C:/AMD/support/14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql or C:/AMD/support/14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-32-dd-ccc-whql in the directories. And yes, It black screens in normal windows, not safe mode
I also cant seem to update my BIOS as when I download the file and unzip it, its in a .CAP format
Edit: I have found out how to do it, I'm going to try it now :) Wish me luck!

Update motherboard BIOS with usb stickeh fixes these issues for good.
I also thought before that I need to update GPU bios but it did nothing really, and Sapphire forum is booming with these black screen bios requests. But no one seems to give flying fuckhole about me repeating myself in teksyndicate forum. :D

Unfortunately, updating the BIOS didn't work. So I'm going to call it a night and try something new tomorrow

Well last time that happened for me was like hour before I sold my 290 for my friend.

It went black again as I was trying to OC CPU, and I had given up before on that OC for that same reason as it made no sense. I felt like this is the last moment I have another GPU to workaround that problem at all, so I switched Fury back to 290 which I knew to temporarily fix it.

Then I figured to try updating that motherboard BIOS with usb stick, which made the problem disappear and I could push CPU straight to 4.8-4.9GHz without any issues. After that I havent had any of those nasty random blackscreens from boot, which usually happen around when Windows loads up, or just as its starting to load.

Fault could be in both parts because I had already updated 290's BIOS, and Fury is anyways new card.

So should I try updating the gpu BIOS?

Shit, i had exactly the same issue and i had to reformat and reinstall windows. I was running windows 10. I think microsoft pushed out a bad driver update for the R9 Series Gpus or possibly a bad chip set driver. I have an
AMD FX 8350
Asus M5a99FX Pro R2.0 Motherboard
4x4 gb Gskill Ripjaws RAM
Asus r9 290 GPU

Its the exact same issue and it happened at the exact same time, so it had to have been an update of some sort.
.......Microsoft Shenanigans..

One temporarily workaround is that you reboot till it works, and then its again fine for sometime.
Quicker way is boot once with different GPU, but who has those. :D

Btw, I had updated in Windows that BIOS before with ASUS tool. But Wendell said in some video that you have to update with USB so some things get properly updated, and luckily I remembered that.

Then I recall that there have been few Windows updates which have done some blackscreen, so I may be just wrong and you two have completely different issue. Still, nothing bad in updating these things?