Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool - Download Link

Anyone got a link for the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool? I’m hoping there’s a web archive link for the US version.

I know there are direct download links that downloads the .iso’s from microsoft out there somewhere. try looking for those instead of the download tool.

1 Like

Use Rufus? Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Extended security updates are EOL, so you can’t get it from Microsoft any more. It will just redirect you to you are SOL page.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

I don’t believe the tool will work anymore, so something like the Internet Archive and RUFUS are indeed the way to go.

You also wouldn’t get updates and stuff for the OS, so probably best not connect the box to the internet either?

1 Like

May we know what even is this for?

1 Like

Good point. I presumed for “that one app” that wont install on current versions kinda deal. Like the boxes still on XP

Here is Win7 Pro x64 direct DL link from the internet archive
https://www.itechtics.com/?dl_id=190

If you need another version, here’s where I got the link

Managed to come across a PC Magazine article, and it gave a direct link to download. I used a capture from 2012 to make it work.

Non-official ISO sources creep me out unless it has the correct SHA256 hash. And I dont have it off my head or on a list somewhere. I presume many of the ISOs have different hashes depending on the Win7 versions in it but the last kniwn good Win7 hash should be known.

you could hash it and google the hash, I’m sure it’ll be indexed somewhere. It depends on the patch level the iso is at.

1 Like

On a separate but tangentially related matter, I think MS just recently disallowed activation of old Win 7 licenses to activate Win 10/11 licenses.

Even if it had been “converted” to a 10/11 license?

I mean, I though it converted it, when used at least once

I havent tried it yet but it should work if you are on a MS account.

For a local accounts, I am not so sure. It should still activate, theoretically. If you did funny things with SecureBoot or TPM just after a reformat, I am not so sure anymore. Also unsure if it would still work if something significantly changed with your hardware IDs on a non-OEM license.

1 Like

This pisses me off to no end, I have about a dozen Windows 7 Pro keys that I’ve saved off old laptops and desktops that are now useless.

1 Like

I was pretty sure there was an email about keys not “just working” anymore

To be fair, the fact they gave a “free” upgrade between versions, I don’t see as an onerous thing.

And 10 being 8 years old, the 7 keys, must be older than that.

Of the many things I begrudge MS for, dropping support after 8 years of not activation, is not one of them.

If a key had been used once in win10, and no longer works in win10… Less good, but again, key basically 10 years plus?

And again, I could be wrong. I just remembered having to use the key once, to upgrade it to a w10 key

Maybe try setting the clock back to an older date? Thats the easiest first thing to test to see if it still sort of works and hope that the date check is just done locally vs server side.

1 Like

Relevant:

1 Like