Windows 7 keeps failing to configure updates?

I have a Windows 7 + Ubuntu dual boot laptop, and tthe Windows 7 install keeps failing updates. I don't know what's going on, but it has been trying to update itself for like a week now, and it fails every time, and reverts the changes, then starts up and repeats the cycle. What can I do about this?

Switch to linux?

\s

Believe me, if I could switch entirely to Linux, I would lol

What's stopping you?

Just install the updates manually.

Install Order:
1) Pre-requisite: KB 3020369
2) September release of July 2016 update rollup: KB 3172605
3) Windows 7 Convenience Rollup: KB 3125574

Just google the URLs. Install in that exact order, and everything should work fine after that. KB 3020369 is probably already installed but dl it and try to install it anyway.

Primarily VMware Workstation Player's garbage experience on Linux, along with MS Visio which is very important. And potentially Adobe CC very soon as I may get a copy of that and need to do some work on it. I have to keep Windows around, sadly. I rarely use it, but I need it to work when I do.

If you haven't already started in it, now is the best time to learn an alternative and be free.

1 Like

Just to be sure before I do stuff to my box, you mean download it from "Microsoft Download Center" here and install via the executable instead of via Windows Update, right? Thanks for the help.

I've done a little, what alternative? Unfortunately when I say work I mean like job kind of work, and they want me to use Adobe CC, so I'm stuck there. But as for my own stuff I'd love to "be free" lol

* nod *

oh... that's pretty much game over then.

Condolences.

Depends which program.... there are plenty for each.

Wait is W7 still supported then?

I think till next july.

(security updates anyway)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Win 7 support ends on January 14, 2020 . Win 8.1 support ends Jan 2023. Win Vista support will end next year (2017) in April.

1 Like

wow... so despite them trying to terrify everyone into hastily switching to win10, they older stuff will still be supported.

1 Like

Good to hear, Feared because of the aggressive way they were pushing Windows 10 that they dropped support instantly....

I've had a issue similar to what you describe. No matter what I did, Windows would not install an update correcly.

After a bit of research, I found a possible solution. The particular update I was trying to install did not play nicely with the GRUB boot loader. I unplugged my Linux drive and let windows start normally. The update installed normally. Plugged my Linux drive back in and all was well.

Can't promise it will work here, but it you have Ubuntu on a separate drive, it would be really easy to test.

Actually, even Windows XP is still supported if using a registry hack.

Basically, MS is on contract having to support Point of Sale (PoS) terminals running XP for a very long time. So even if they do not officially make the updates available, they are still internally supporting Windows XP for those systems.

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2310301/windows-xp-registry-hack-keeps-the-security-updates-rolling.html

Legacy stuff takes forever to die :-(

1 Like

Yeah, I never understand the way Microsoft operates! Tho i think its good they are a little bit more pushy. They really made people give a false sense of what a OS is by sticking too long with XP so everyone expects that OS never need to change.

Slackware <3