Windows 7 Boot Issue - USB

So, I noticed when booting Windows 7 that when moving a USB mouse, it will restart, and upon restarting, Windows shows a Windows Error Recovery screen. I noticed that this issue does not occur when using a PS/2 mouse. I just wondering why this issue occurs. I also noticed that this issue does not occur for Windows 8.1, it seems to be Windows 7 specific.

Are you plugging the mouse into a USB 3 port? Does it restart cleanly by showing the restarting or shutdown screen? Does Windows 8.1 work on the same machine with the same mouse?

Nope, both keyboard and mouse are using USB 2.0.

It restarts “dirty”. It flat out in the middle of the start up process just restarts with no loading graphic, etc… like a reset button.

Yes, Windows 8.1 works on the same machine with the same mouse. It’s all one system.

Are you dual booting from a single hard drive or have a dedicated drive for each OS? What happens when you boot without the mouse? Does safe mode work with the mouse?

I tested with both -separate dedicated OS single installs to the drive and a dual boot configuration as well.

Everything still works fine without the mouse, except obviously, now I don’t have a mouse to use.

Haven’t tried safe mode. That doesn’t seem relevant.

Only reason I ask about safe mode is that it will load with only basic drivers. I don’t know what kind of mouse you are using, but it could be the driver that is causing the crash. If you have narrowed it down to the mouse and it works fine on another OS in the same box, then it has to be something related to the mouse in software on that OS that is causing the crash.

Best guess is motherboard drivers or bios settings.
That’s an oddball issue.
Have you checked event viewer, not sure if its far along enough in booting to log anything.

Tried with Safe Mode and the issue still occurs.

Edit- Tried with a different mouse -a wireless one, and booting into safe mode with it while moving it works fine. It also works for regular booting too. I guess it’s just my mouse then? Wtf? Which is strange because I paid $45 for this piece of crap too. Wow.

I would test with another wired USB mouse if I had one, but I don’t.

1 Like