Windows 7 and my 580

Alright, I don't know how I pissed windows off now, but I apparently did.

Got my 580, cool, FPS skyrocketed from my 370, jizzfest, went to windows and installed the 580 drivers, yeet, reboot, no source games work, AOE doesn't work (dies with error "Can't initialize draw system: main.cpp(312)"), and Quake Champions doesn't work.

None of the source games except DOTA 2 give me an error (the dota error is: Unable to start game! Unable to find a valid direct3d device! Check that your graphics driver is working properly, and that you satisfy the minspec of the game).

If I go into device manager the 580 is listed, and if I open the radeon driver manager thing it seems fine too. My driver is off of the AMD site, but should I get it off the gigabyte site instead? Help! I don't want to use windows 10!

1 Like

if you've installed this driver all should be good.
Never ever install a driver from the manufacturer or driver cd, outdated.

Did you use DDU? if not, do so.
try to reinstall a source game? or reset all settings.

Did that yesterday, no effect

wat

I have found something. I installed the base files for my drivers on my second hard drive to concerve space, which I have indeed done before with other cards, but that might have something to do with the 580 drivers not showing up? I'm going to install the latest drivers on the gigabyte website, 17.10, and see if it works out.

General rule of thumb: always install your drivers on the primary (C:) drive to avoid further issues.

And always use DDU when installing new drivers or a new GPU

that's very outdated, just don't we are at 17.5.1 already.

Its from march and I can update it with little to no issues

Alright I did all of that but still no source games no quake no AOE.

I think windews 7 and theu RX 500 series are just incompatible. I can't run anything else now either. What a fucking joke.

Clean install of windows7?
Maybe directX 11 need to be installed for that game?

Its a complete clean install I had 10 on it last night and it worked fine. I don't want to use 10 because then I would have to go out and buy a whole new wireless card because apparently pci devices "Aren't in vogue" according to micropenis.

Windows7 by default doesnt come with DX11 if i´m right?
So maybe that might be your issue?

Yeah but I can't even run 2D games now.
And yeah it does come with DX11.

I thought that windows7 out of the box comes with DX10.

After updates it has 11. But even with that, nothing works. And AOE2 dosen't even go past DX9.

Hmm okay thats kinda interesting.
Which particular driver did you use?
I would recommend the one directlly from AMD´s website.

Newest one off of AMD's site.
The 580 is in device manager, steam sees it, the driver is installed on C now, I have all the system updates I can get, and to my knowledge there isn't a service pack 2 is there?

Shit like this is why I hate windows and it ALWAYS does this sort of unexplainable thing.

Okay, what happens wenn you put back your old gpu,
and try to launch those particular games?
The driver should also work for your previous 370 i suppose.

This is kinda odd, i suppose that you miss some specific components.
Maybe a dll or something.

The 370 worked perfectly fine.

It might be unrelated but, one of the reasons I moved to Win X enterprise is that after a AMD driver update on Win 7 I had games in my steam library that just refused to run, if I rolled back the driver (basically uninstall and install older version) using DDU...they would run as always.

After rolling back the driver games worked again, my only goal here was to get JC3 to run decently enough to actually play the game, after switching the OS all the problems went away, all the games run well and JC3 is playable.

I think it's that AMD is no longer supporting Win 7, or at least working to make the drivers 100% compatible, my system had SP2 and all necessary patches at the time to be fully functional and up to date.

Time to kill myself.

Alright, well can XE use PCI wireless cards? I don't exactly mind using X but I do mind spening 25 of 75 dollars that I have on a usb wireless card that won't be as fast as what I have already.

Also where do I even get it?

1 Like

Wish I had the answer but I don't use wireless so can't advise, as far as getting a copy of the enterprise edition.......again I can't help you, I was lucky enough to have a friend in the IT department of a local bank that had access to the OS, I was left on my own to find a key or way to validate / activate it, that's about all I can say without violating forum rules.