Windows 11 (automatic) sleep mode stopped working

Last week, I’m not exactly sure when, somehow my sleep mode stopped working on Windows 11. Windows no longer puts my computer to sleep automatically neither does the start menu button for sleep work or the win+x shortcut. However there a way I still CAN get my computer to sleep is when I use ctrl+alt+del and use the bottom right menu for sleep. At this point I’ve tried literally everything I can think of. What I’ve already tried:

• Changing power plans, settings etc. (tested PCI link management toggle as well)
  • Disable/Re-enable Hibernate
  • Checked event viewer, nothing useful found. (tried pressing the sleep button etc checking logs after. nothing there)
  • Checked a few services
  • Closed tons of processes one by one and checking if sleep button works afterwards
  • Powercfg /energy checked USB devices
  • Disconnected all USB devices
  • Disconnected 2nd monitor/tv
  • Ran DISM & SFC scans
  • Updated all chipset drivers/windows etc
  • Using startallback, uninstalled and checked.
  • Created a new local windows user (same problem)

After creating a new user and the problem persisting I’m thinking it’s unlikely to be any setting/application issue. Considering ctrl+alt+del works I’m kind of starting to think it’s a permissions issue or something, how to fix it though, no idea… Suggestions are welcome…

Short of reinstalling Windows which I don’t really want to do, too much stuff on this PC to reconfigure and setup, I’ve kind of run out of things to check.

If you think it’s a permissions issue try issuing the following sleep command from both a non-elevated and elevated command prompt. If it only works when running as admin then it very well could be a permissions issue.

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

Also it may be useful to generate a sleep study and comb through the report to see if an application is blocking your PC from entering sleep. To generate an HTML report for the past day run:

powercfg /sleepstudy /duration 1
1 Like

Thanks, the first thing actually seems to be the problem. It only works running it as admin… Do you have any idea how to resolve this? Checking/changing permissions on those dlls?

Also, I did run sleepstudy a few days ago as well, did it again right now, but there’s not really any useful info in it as far as I can understand.

What I did for now, not really a fix more of a workaround, is create a sleep task with highest priviliges, which runs a .bat with the command you gave. Running the task manually seems to work, so I hope it will work after x amount of time idle.

It is quite silly to have to do this.

Honestly no, I don’t know how to resolve the issue offhand without further troubleshooting. I have a few ideas how to narrow down the issue but I don’t want to frustrate you by asking you to perform steps that don’t yield an immediate resolution. It will probably will be quite a bit of back and forth if you’re good with it. We’ll give it until tomorrow to see if anyone else might had already tackled this issue first.

In the mean time: popular solution from Google search… can you try the setting below?

Thanks for the effort. I don’t want to ask to much of your time either.
I tried the setting below, alas it didn’t work.

What is kind of weird is that some weeks ago I remember having the same issue on my other PC at home, I don’t use that as much and didn’t bother fixing it at the time. However that PC seemed to have the issue resolved by itself after some time. That PC also had another issue last week where instead of sleeping it shut itself down when being put to sleep, which I fixed but can’t remember how right now, might have been related.
Anyway maybe this will fix itself in some time as well. :man_shrugging: