Windows 10, SSD, Trim question

I am working on a laptop for a friend. It came with an 128G SSD.

I am prepping it for a new install of Windows 10, but noticed when I ran this command:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

I got this output:

NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)
ReFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled)

Now I’m confused. Because everything I’ve learned about Trim says that Windows is supposed to automatically Trim SSD drives. And everthing I look for says that 0 is supposed to be enabled. But it clearly says here that it’s disabled.

Um, any ideas?

I’m not going to pretend that I have ever used those commands but optimise (MS talk for trim) is where you find defrag in the properties dialog for the drives. It’s here that you can set a schedule.

I got the same output on my machine. As far as I know, even if it looks contradictory, it just means that TRIM is enabled and working. No need to worry about it.

1 Like

It’s that crazy double negative that kinda gets ya…

Read aloud it says: “The Disabled State of NTFS Delete Notify is disabled.” Thus -> Enabled Feature.

One gets used to it… Don’t interpret. Read as is.

1 Like

Yeah Windows has a lot of these in the group policy editor. E.g. “Disallow network backup” - Enabled means it’s disabled (disallowed), Disabled means it’s enabled (allowed) -_-

Disabled DisableDeleteNotify = Enabled :smiley:

Pardon my french, but why in the hell do engineers do that? It makes it hard to understand for those of us who are not in the know.

I know to someone who does this alot is gonna look down this as a stupid question, but it’s something I haven’t run into before. I’ve been on Linux for a good 3 almost 4 years I think now, and I don’t really administer windows machines much anymore cept my son’s pc cause the games he plays won’t run on even lutris or proton.

But thank you guys for the info. Another thing I learned about Windows I didn’t know before today haha. At one point I used to be very versed in Windows.

1 Like

Well that makes sense if you get your head in the right space.

“Enabled” = enable this policy setting

However, the policy is to forcibly disable the thing. Because maybe it is enabled or user configurable by default.

If you don’t deal with policy much sure, it can be a little wierd initially but its not rocket science.

1 Like

And i don’t deal with policy all that much.

Nope. Never. Just because one’s used to it doesn’t mean it makes really more sense than versing it differently. It just mean one doesn’t cringe as much or often anymore :wink:
Yes, it makes sense if viewed purely logically. But yes, it could be made more easy to understand. Microsoft loves doing n-negatives, they were done with double-negatives years ago.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.