Windows 10 put user folders to seperate drive

As most of us know, linux is in the position to put the home folders on another partition and even on another drive even. I have been searching for a long time around, and eventually gave up.

My hope has awakened again when I saw the forums.

The ‘Users’ folder is somehow intertwined with the internals of windows, which never allowed me to make a clear cut.

Does anyone have made any experience with outsourcing the Users folder to another partition or drive?

I am unsure if you can re-point the entire Users Folder. As you say Windows is kind of expecting it to be there and it is fairly heavily tied into that.

You can re-point a User’s specific folders like Desktop/Documents etc using the Location Tab when you go into the Properties for that folder.

I suppose you could try moving the Users folder and then creating a symlink in C:\Users to the new location so stuff expecting it to be in C: still work though it depends if Windows will let you move/rename it in the first place.

My daily driver is running Ubuntu so i can’t test this right now, but if you want to try the Symlink way I would recommend Link Shell to give you a File explorer easy way to add the symlink.

I basically want to put the ‘Users’ folder to the E-drive and the Program Files in the D-drive. Putting the Program Files in another drive is simply by replacing the C with a D in the installation path.

But the Users folder is not something that could be dealt with a shortcut or symlink as it is called in linux terms.

I know it’s possible to move Downloads, Documents and alike by going to their properties and then Location tab. Not sure about whole Users folder. Maybe a hard link?

It will maintain a user folder regardless of what you do.

You can however bypass that by redirecting storage to another drive via the same crude directory( and still connected to the os ) or by simply storing all downloads to another drive directly and manually organizing them yourself. The later being the best option and done in your browser settings via " chose which drive to save to " In this way you bypass the user folder and should basically leave it empty.

You will rapidly learn which software to avoid due to its insistence on being installed on the os drive.

Putting the downloads somewhere else is good, but things like AppData which are important.
And there are games and programs that put their folder structure in the Documents folder like Assassin’s Creed Unity or Arduino.
Then when being in the Properties of the Desktop, Documents, etc folders, there you can click Move and you have the possibility for changing the path right in the input field.

Do both routes do the same thing? From the looks of it, it appears to be…

1 Like

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/moving-the-user-folder-in-its-entirety-from-c-to-d/e8a063cd-624c-4da4-a6fd-5d98fa797aef

I think this one covers most of the pros/cons & ins/outs.

The succinct question is: What concern are you trying to solve? Solution pivoting is a creed; It is The Way. :wink:

I could ramble extensively on my use case(s) if needed, but simply put I am using disk passthrough virtual machines trying to solving the heinous disk wear issues associated with windows (already snipped the manhood off the telemetry and all that jazz) so I seek to pivot from segregating OS components from each other (Users drive from the OS install) to segregating OS drive from Data and addressing the underlying disc I/O underneath each… jury is still out and hinged on disc wear of QCOW2 with cacheing vs direct disc (Data/Programms still on non-QCOW2). Still researching; got a few crazy ideas like splitting the qcow backing around.

I don’t think you can actually move the users folder, but you should be able to make a copy on another drive, and take everything IN the users drive and move it. Then link the original users folder to that folder on another drive. Or at least you USED to able to.

ok and one more thing. Currently I install the Program Files to another harddisk, and that disk is getting low on free space. Is there anything that I should pay attention to other than booting into linux and copy Program Files to the bigger HD, and swap them out?