Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 Pro Update Failure

So I’m running Windows 10 Pro, v22H2 with the latest installed patches, tried updating to Windows 11 but during the install process it fails and then rollsback into Windows 10.

The setup.etl file doesn’t show any errors/warnings in the log only information events.

I’m thinking the only way around this is to install fresh onto a new SSD but wanted to confirm if there are any other tricks to try out first.

I even found that there was an updated firmware/bios for my motherboard and flashed it and all boots fine into Win 10.

Specs:

AMD Threadripper 2950X
ASUS ROG Strix X399-E Gaming Wifi
64GB of Corsair Vengence DDR4 (16GB x 4) running a the default of 2133 just to make sure.
Samsung 970 Pro, 1TB NVMe
Samsung 870 Pro, 2TB NVMe
Seagate 2TB Spinning Rust

Probably need to enable the AMD fTPM switch in uefi (bios).

@thetazman yeppers, already confirmed that one too.

The Windows 11 Check App does confirm it is enabled too.

Does that app say anything fails to prerequisites? If no the it’s windows being a PITA which is sop for them. More than likely they didn’t have US test this functionality that well for them! /sarcasm!

1 Like

@thetazman nothing is being mentioned about any missing pre-requisites.

Ok then, the installer is buggy and a clean install is to be done!

If your system isn’t old then it should work. Mine is older and had to bypass to get windows 11 to install

Thanks for all the feedback, I was thinking of doing a fresh install.

However, I’m really looking into replacing/upgrading my old Threadripper system as I don’t really need all the I/O, which I thought I was going to use.

So awaiting for the AMD Computex announcement about Zen 5 CPU release dates and will look at getting a new AM5 system with of course some new NVMe storage.