Windows 10 pro n

Hey guys, downloaded and installed pro n, but my serial key is pro and won’t work. Is there a way to change pro n to pro?

Yes download the pro iso and re-install i guess? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Was really hoping not to do that lol

I’m assuming you tried the “Change product key or upgrade your edition of Windows” option in the About page of settings?

Yep, re-install is the only option.

You may be able to install pro over pro n without the installer wiping user files, but that might or might not work.

You should be able to perform an in-place reinstall, this feature has existed since Windows Vista and may possibly come in handy in a situation like this.

You can change version via regedit
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
Change EditionID and ProductName
Logout /login use your key
I also do this to downgrade from insider preview just change the build ID to an older one and it lets you upgrade to the older build where as normally if you want to downgrade the only option is to remove everything during Windows install

" Windows 10 pro N is just windows 10 Pro without Windows Media Player and related technologies pre-installed including Music, Video, Voice Recorder and Skype. "

why would you want the gimped version?

You can likely just do an ‘upgrade’ with the media creation tool without losing anything.

You also might be able to just switch to the pro version by using the default keys

Default pro key:
VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

He said he already has a key

“You can likely just do an ‘upgrade’ with the media creation tool without losing anything.” 20m to upgrade windows or several seconds to change registry key

for regular pro, not pro n

tried the reg key a few times for some reason it goes straight back to pro n.

i havent ran windows for years so figured i would try out the n version without looking into it. Looks like i may have to format

Can also run cmd as admin slmgr.vbs /ipk #####-#####-#####-#####-#####

definitly looks like i have to format :frowning:

1 Like

you can’t use a pro key on a pro n install. it. won’t. work.

I have before using both of these solutions, in general however i recommend activating via a KMS server.

using a pro key on a pro N install? you realize they’re different, right? different keys and all

Yes, you can force any key, as stated the only diference is windows media player.
I usually install pro [easier to get clean ISOs] /upgrade to enterprise via default key, activate via kms

why not jsut get enterprise keys?

This is drifting off topic.
The MOQ for enterprise from an official MS distributor is 5. No reason to buy a gray market key, might as well use KMS. Both are “immoral” not illegal. One is free.

Also even though the free upgrade period is expired, an OEM Windows 7 Pro key can still be used to upgrade for free. Just install Windows 10, slmgr the serial.

Why enterprise? Long term service channel. So I’m not pushed an update that will brick Windows. IDK why anyone would buy this unstable OS. Even though you can now defer updates for upto 365 days, Windows seems to ignore it’s own settings and force updates on you anyways…