Windows 10 mirror damaged not sure what to do?

Need ideas to get mirrored array working. Both drives in the mirror array are listed as mirror drives and are not linked.

I have my new 3950X system up and running
Gigabyte Aorus Master
2 Plextor 1TB M.2 drivers (1 Windows 10 - 1 linux)
2 Western Digital Sata Reds 8TB in windows mirror mode

Booted the system yesterday and it took a very long time to boot.
Once in windows, noticed that the mirror drive E: was not present.
In Drive manager one drive of the mirrored array was failed redundancy and the other was listed as a foreign drive. I tried to remove the mirror and I got an error “plex missing” I rescanned the drive and checked for errors and rebooted and the 1st drive of the array came back on line, but the 2nd drive still listed as a foreign drive. I imported that drive and it came back online, but not in the original array. I now supposedly have 2 mirror arrays D: and E: Not sure what to do?

the problem you have here is identifying which drive is actually damaged!
once you identify which drive is bad you could probably clone the good one to another drive using dd rescue or clonezilla.
but depending on what is stored on the drives you may need to use a live cd recovery program like system rescue and an external drive to back up the data.

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=systemrescue.

barring that if the data is not that important or you has sufficiently updated backups. then the easiest solution is to re initialize the raid! this will wipe the array for reuse.
this means reinstalling your os and loading the backups back into the system…
reason that
this is one important the OS should be stored on a separate drive
the raid arrays being separated from the os only the raid drives need to re initialized and restored from backups.

also the choice of raid configuration needs to be considered.
this link can explain the differences and pros and cons of various raid arrays.

the other issue to consider is the indexing configuration file (plex missing message)
is raid setups an indexing file is created to tell the os how to access the drive configuration. If that file is missing if the os actually does see the drives it may not be able to access them.
so if you cannot recover the data using rescue software then the only recourse is re-initialize the raid.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.