Windows 10 has officially tuned me to LINUX(ubuntu)

i feel the same about sublim, not my cup of tea from the way i code

1 Like

while you'll likely get 400 different suggestions, what i would suggest is clearly outlining what you want the machine to do.

for example, i have a laptop that is underpowered when i comes to gaming, so i have no problem using Linux on it because i don't use it to game. i also have a desktop with win 7 on it, because i DO game on that one. if i was to suddenly erase windows on that one, i probably wouldn't enjoy using it since i would never feel "settled in".

if you want to play games other than those with linux support, you're going to be frustrated. if you have that one program you use and love on windows, you're going to be frustrated. if you expect your experience to be the same as windows, you're going to be frustrated.

HOWEVER, if you're willing to treat Linux as something entirely new and investigate what it has to offer, you might be pleasantly surprised. what i would suggest is searching for distro reviews on Youtube. if you can disregard the biases of whomever is speaking and just observe what they're doing and see if you like what's going on, you'll be much more informed when it comes time to pick a distro.

oh, and we're always available for help if you need.

1 Like

GO Linux mint. It's easy enough on the eyes.

Exactly, it's kind of like differences in software too; that do the same job. I was talking to someone the other day about stop treating one piece of modelling software like another. They are their own entity treat it as such, and you'll have a waaay better time. So the same will apply here. Treat Linux like Linux, and you'll be fine. Treat it like Windows and you'll be in for a bumpy ride.

1 Like

you mentioned notepad++ earlier. if this was your preferred IDE, Linux has notepadqq.

just came across this site earlier this week - Linux Journey. Only checked it briefly, but looks like something that would have been really useful when I moved from windows.

I found as a Linux newbie that although there is plenty of online support, the problem was learning the new names of elements of new OS to search for solutions. I had a problem with a desktop panel which was easily sorted, but only after I realised it was no longer called a taskbar

Thats why I have a licence key cracker for those 'just in case' moments ;)

There's no need. If you really need Windows for a short period you can get 3 month trial licenses for windows 8 and 10, and you can get 6 month trials of windows server editions.

Suggesting breaking copyright/licensing isn't something we want to encourage here

1 Like

Was not encouraging what I do. And I only slap it in a box that I'm usually running as a sandbox.

1 Like

Forgot to provide a link, just if anyone does need it https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-technical-preview-for-enterprise

I think this is a similar issue to switching OS as well. Its usually that the equivalents are different and take time to adjust, theres a lot of good options though, more so than Windows imo.

Sublime, & Git. What else do you need? lol

1 Like

Depending on what other things your server does (Dev Server, VPS etc) I would say no to Ubuntu for a few reasons, desktop its okay I suppose (Unity uses to much memory), But the stability can be questioned, its kind of hit and miss is Ubuntus update cycle, even with LTS, personally I would use either CentOS/RHEL (You can get it for free) or Debian with SSH or VNC connection directly to the server.
As for the desktop try Ubuntu Mate, its a rather good system and the lead dev seems like a nice person.

But let me add to the Ubuntu server in a positive way, Ubuntu has some sweet tricks on it I personally would use, 1 is Landscape, if I had multiple PCs I would use this about once a week to update everything and keep metrics on the systems, I have not found anything like this for Debian, Arch or any other system outside of manually logging into the box via SSH, secondly I would add live kernel patching (When it bloody installs correctly!) as it saves me rebooting my systems (Trust me server reboots are the bain of my career atm).

But as would be said on reddit, you have finally assended to true PC master race ;)

1 Like

What do you like about Visual Studio? Is it Intellisense? I use Visual Studio at work and Sublime when I'm anywhere else. (My co-workers are terrified of Linux)

i still have a win dektop so im not worried about it. ill just jump on there whenever i want to make an app. VS is able to cross platform (android,win,ios) mobile under one language that i know very well. also i already know all the tricks to the IDE. so thats my official go to for apps. however i already downloaded code for linux. ive used sublime. its not my cup of tea. everyone is different.

1 Like

To avoid PC/Partition hoping I suggest investing some spare time into QEMU, I am currently building a laptop to use at work, but I have used VMWare Converter so I have a VDMK of that drive.
It will be put on my laptop so I can use vendor remote access to customers, plus I can encrypt and snapshot the system for added security.
Plus makes backups easier as I just drop them onto my NAS after a major piece of work/update has taken place.

I used Linux for a year before switching back to Windows with Linux for Windows Subsystem due to driver issues, mediocre UI, and the JustWerks(TM) factor on my Precision 15 5000. I'm waiting for Unity 8 with hope that it will be good enough at release to make me fully switch.