Windows 10 BSOD

I’m currently staying with a good friend while builders finish building my new house, he has a pre-built MSI tower PC that he got about a year or two ago. Its an MSI Codex XE Plus 9XE model: MS-B91318-03S. Specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7-9700K
NVIDIA RTX 2080
2TB HDD
512GB NVMe SSD (Samsung variant, probably a 960 Evo / 960 Pro?)
16GB of RAM, single DIMM (lol wtf…??)
An Intel Wireless 3168 I think… its utter crap.
Windows 10 Home.

All of his drivers have been updated using MSI Dragon Center. All Windows Updates have been applied. The BIOS has been updated to the most current BIOS available for this machine.

It’s been BSODing for awhile now, usually when he runs flight sim software (X-Plane 11 and quite a few addons / whatevers), but he can also log in to Windows, do nothing, and eventually it’ll just crash given enough time (usually 2-7 hours).

Initially I thought this was just a problem with NVIDIA driver upgrades, so I downloaded DDU, booted into Safe Mode, uninstalled the older drivers, installed the latest GameReady drivers and rebooted. I downloaded AIDA64, ran a System Stability Test for 12 hours, and it looked like everything was fine. It wasn’t. We loaded up X-Plane 11 again and it eventually crashed after about an hour or two.

I’ve tried a lot of other things that I’m just frankly not going to get into at the moment, but I’m pretty much at the limits of my knowledge.

I’ve looked at Event Viewer and its consistently a Kernal-Power error that’s causing the system to reboot. Hopefully the Minidump file will provide some insight.

@Novasty
@Commissar
@PhaseLockedLoop
@Peanut253

Any help you can provide would be incredibly useful.

Probably caused by : memory_corruption
BugCheck 5, {ffffd789e37ef080, ffffd789e36b51c0, 1, 1}
BugCheck Info: [INVALID_PROCESS_ATTACH_ATTEMPT (5)](http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000005)
Bugcheck code 00000005
Arguments:
Arg1: ffffd789e37ef080
Arg2: ffffd789e36b51c0
Arg3: 0000000000000001
Arg4: 0000000000000001
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x5
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: CODE_CORRUPTION
PROCESS_NAME: System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE
MaxSpeed: 3600
CurrentSpeed: 3600
BiosVersion = H.30
BiosReleaseDate = 07/25/2019
SystemManufacturer = Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
SystemProductName = Z390 Gaming Codex XE Plus (MS-B913)
BaseBoardProduct = Z390-A PRO (MS-7B98)

Do a long memtest, your stick of ram may be going bad.

2 Likes

First off, thank you very much for looking at this, I really appreciate this.

Second, if you don’t mind, could you walk me through what exactly you did to decipher this? The process and software you used? If its really in-depth, and you don’t feel up to it, I understand, but I’d love to know how to do this, so I can troubleshoot these problems more effectively in the future.

The easy way to do this is get SysnativeBSODApps.

Install windbg using the Windows SDK installer along with any other dependencies that maybe needed (I can’t remember if anything else is needed, I’ve installed these tools the day I installed windows).

Get SysnativeBSODApps from the link below, you’ll need an account on their site to download it likely.
https://www.sysnative.com/forums/threads/official-update-sysnative-bsod-processing-apps.3219/post-310370

Once the BSOD debugger is installed, copy the BSOD dumps to the Sysnative folder, run the application, and the waiting games begin. It usually takes a good few minutes to process a BSOD, maybe longer.

2 Likes

So I downloaded and installed everything you mentioned there. I processed the .dmp file, and SysnativeBSODApps output 5 separate .txt files. The block of text you posted in the earlier post, I never saw that when I ran the program.

I assume I’m doing something wrong?

Ahh sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I saw your post and had a reply for it.

Anyways, the below images, click View HTML as it will organize the information to be more understandable.

_98-debug is where I got the block of information regarding the BSOD, you will find similar information in the other sections

_88-debug gives you a list of related and potentially related drivers while _99-debug basically gives you the whole dump ran in raw.

The important information in the dump you provided are what’s in _98-debug as it singles out the error for you mostly.

The information you get from Sysnative is only one part of it, once you have singled out what is causing the error, you need to understand the information you are looking at, google usually comes to the rescue in this case.

1 Like

Fantastic. Thank you Novasty.

You’re gonna love this little tidbit, by the way.

We ordered him a new kit of Crucial RAM, 2x16GB sticks of DDR4-3200, but while fiddling around, something intriguing happened. When he jiggled his Insignia 4 port USB 2.0 hub accidentally, the system blue screened with an INTERRUPT EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED error. That hub is where all his Saitek flight simulation controls are plugged in.

He bought a new powered 7-port USB 3.0 hub and we plugged everything in there. Jiggling that hub around does not cause BSODs.

I can’t say for sure if his single stick of 16GB Samsung DDR4-2666 RAM was truly bad, or if it was the Saitek drivers from 2008, or if it was for some reason the bargain bin USB hub.

At any rate, we installed the new Crucial RAM and he’s happy because now he has 32 GB for Microsoft Flight Simulator (which is a tremendous memory hog from what I understand).

So I guess all’s well that ends well.