WIN10 1803 update fail - 0xC1900101 0x30018

Hey guys

I’ve been trying to update my Win10 Home from 1709 to 1803+ for several months now with no luck.

The windows updater downloads then installs, when it reboots to finish the installation, it gets to ~43% and hangs which causes a crash (my keyboard lights go out, kb/mouse unresponsive, screen goes black) which needs to be power cycled to recover. Upon boot, it restores previous windows version, which seems to work just fine. I get an error message most times of 0xC1900101 0x30018 upon reboot/restore. Googling around wasn’t much help, most things said remove AV or were for people upgrading to Win10 from 7/8 (this is a fresh clean install of Win10).

I’ve tried using Windows Update, the Windows 10 Update Assistant app and creating a update USB stick. I use Bitdefender Antivirus Plus, which I have tried normally, with all protections deactivated and completely uninstalled. I don’t have any other active AV/Malware.

Hardware:
Asrock X370 Taichi (BIOS 3.30, default OC settings)
Ryzen 1700
G.Skill F4-3200C14-8GTZKW (2x8g 1066mhz 15-15-15-36 1T)
NVIDIA GTX 960 4g
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb (OS)
Hitachi HDD 2TB (Storage, most steam games etc)

Corsair K70 RGB keyboard
Logitech G602 mouse
Mackie Onyx Satellite firewire audio interface
PS3 Eye modified webcams

Almost forgot, about 1/2 the time I try to update, on the 43% freeze after rebooting to finish install, I get a Clock Watchdog Timeout error. I tried to take a picture of the error screen but I rebooted (and restored previous version of windows) before I could get my phone out

“Clock watchdog timeout” sounds like hardware / driver issue.

I would be trying to reduce the possible places for interaction.

Configure motherboard for default non-OC settings.

Maybe even only 1 stick of RAM.

Disable non-essential motherboard peripherals, ie firewire, anything you aren’t using.

Disconnect non-essential peripherals, ie HDD, audio, webcams.

Check:
power supply, do you have a tester, do you have another one you can swap?
reseat power connections
reseat sata cables
reseat RAM
reseat GPU
are there any unexpectedly thermally hot connections?

Swap to an different/older video card?

Disk cleanup, and clean out system files too, windows update, maybe you have something corrupted there?

Maybe chkdsk to verify the system disk?

Find wuhideshow.cab from Microsoft, and you can use it to restrict which updates are going to be processed. Reduced complexity might help, or just doing things one at a time might inhibit a bad interaction.

Mobo has default, non-OC settings.

I’ve done chkdisk, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and everything comes back fine. The S.M.A.R.T. reports on my SSD and HDD both come back clean. HWinfo32/64 report all my PSU stats are on target and non-fluctuating (I don’t have a backup PSU beefy enough for this build). MEMTEST86 comes back clean. I don’t have an older GPU and this mobo doesn’t have onboard.

I’ve tried it with all my peripherals unplugged besides kb/mouse (even tried it with a PS/2 keyboard). I haven’t tried it with my firewire card pulled out, thats my only non-GPU PCI card.

I unfortunately don’t have much in the way of redundant hardware to swap to narrow down HW issues. I will say that when I built the system in early Jan 2018, in the 100+ hours of stress testing with the usual stress testing cast of characters I never had any issues besides BIOS OC’ing and the windows Ryzen Master app fighting on the upper limits of 3.8-4.0ghz but I’ve run with no OC since Feb/March as games haven’t needed it.

Sounds like you have done most of what you could with what you have then.

Firewire is a bit niche, and not essential for windows upgrade, so worth removing as a potential issue, especially since you have something that looks like a hardware / driver issue.

You should have a look at wuhideshow.cab https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-hide-show-windows-updates-windows-10-a.html and get a bit of control about which updates are applied when, at least while you are having problems. Last time I was having w10 update issues I used this approach to squeeze the updates thru one at a time, which was useful since I was very restricted on C: space at the time.

Maybe you should try reseating any connections you haven’t reseated yet.