Win X, Fedora, And A KVM

Thank you.....I'll give that a try.

I'm still pretty much a noob at some of this stuff, and using UEFI instead of SeaBIOS was a totally new venture, normally I test stuff on a different rig before trying on my daily driver but in the case of doing a pass through I don't have another PC that is suitable at the moment...all in all it has worked out fine and I accomplished what I set out to do with a minimum amount of disruption to my daily usage.

I'm very happy that once again I was able to do this with the help of you guys and the forum in general, I've come away with a better PC that is doing what I wanted with almost no investment other than my time and I learned more then I knew before I started which will let me help others. I'm not all together thrilled that I feel like I'm being forced to move from Win 7 to Win X but if I want more stability, compatibility, or really just the ability to run some newer games and programs I don't see any other option.

Anyway.....thanks to everyone for all the input and help.

1 Like

I had the same issue with my system, so I sorta ragequit the concept of using a physical device for UEFI installations on a motherboard that supports UEFI. I'm on ASUS. Out of curiosity, what mainboard are you using?

Yeah AD is Active Directory... From what I understand, Enterprise needs AD to complete the setup, but I haven't spent much time digging into it.

Are you using libvirt or just throwing together a QEMU command line? Might be in your best interest to try libvirt if you're up to throwing a wrench in everything.

1 Like

christ thats a long post.

Yes I use SealBios on my KVM's (and i run win10) what i've noticed that drivers for storage virtio doesn't work at least on my setup. Win10 doesn't recognize it - as viable storage, and declines creating partitions. So thats about it. (i didn't suffer long bootups with sealbios, in fact it was faster than going uefi - as long as your drive is fast or use unsafe cache, and threaded mode) -- getting 500mb/s on normal 4TB 5200rpm drive i use as system image storage for my kvms. -- there's less issues with bsods using seal bios.

better approachment is not going by samba but mounting a folder as a drive or usb etc. This way you can pretty much do what you need both ways.

(again your issues may be related to your hardware, as i'm running legit servers mobos, with sandy xeons.)

Also if you have multiple cpu's its important that you use 2 processors, and numa is preserved. So its important to use 2 sockets in your config. (to get 8 threads, you should then 4 cores, or 2 cores and 2 threads.)

Note: leave 30% head room for your linux. Else you'll drown in bottlenecks. (so if you have 8 cores, use only 6 max, if you have 32gb of ram use at most 24gb;)

1 Like

Asrock Fatality 990FX Killer...... When I started trying to do hardware pass through I was using a Asus mb that suffered from the IVRS table problem, I made my head bloody (beating it against a brick wall...lol) trying to get it to work, bought the Asrock and it worked on the first try once I knew what I was doing... ;)

I don't have AD, I use to run a Windows server several years ago, but it was replace with a FreeNas box...so....

Even though I know who gave me the enterprise .iso I'm not really sure where he got it, I assumed since he works as a IT security guy at a bank he would maybe have access to the LTSB version which is what I asked about, the .iso he gave me had no .nfo or the types of files you see when it comes from a place like lets say usenet, but I have the philosophy of not looking a gift horse in the mouth, or don't ask, don't tell....he provided me with something that I could use and it worked...whether it has been modified or not I have no idea but it did not need AD to work and it also had no crack or any other files to facilitate activation...so?

Yep just throwing it together, I will give it a look when I get a few things off my plate, now that I know my new setup is going to work (better than the old one) it just makes good sense to try to break it by learning something new....lol and I'm not opposed to learning new stuff, I'll give it a look.

you need to have the virtio drivers disk in and use the "have disk" option.

Is there an extra zero on 500mb/s? that shouldn't be physically possible.

Probably was modified to enable non-domain connected installations, but aside from that, should be pretty much stock. That's sweet.

libvirt is nice because of the virt-manager gui. Makes my VM creation about 5x as fast.

yea, i did so; it declined formatting or creating partitions - but it was visible. On win7 it worked fine.

On unsafe cache it creates a buffer like writeback option so if you create some specific benchmark they may be kept in memory before actually saving them to disk. so yeah 500mb/s easily without sweat. (its important to run threaded mode as well) -- just use latest qemu.

I've never had an issue with the virtio drivers. I wonder what the problem is. I've got my VM running with win10 and virtio...

Oh, that's interesting. I'll have to play with that.

could you send me your drivers - ones i downloaded from debian site didn't work? I'll give it a shot, heard they are about 15-20% faster than normal scsi/sata/ide drivers.

Debian site?

try this link: https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/latest-virtio/virtio-win.iso

version as of today is 0.1.130. I'm using 0.1.129 on my passthrough vm and 0.1.130 on my work machine's vm. You'll need to set the CD drive as sata, obviously.

or fedora, can't remember (i'm using opensuse for my kvms but i haven't seen it providing virtio drivers)

Fedora provides the only signed drivers that I know of. My work machine is on opensuse so I can confirm that opensuse, libvirt, virtio and windows 10 should work properly. (I'm on tumbleweed)

LOL...Hey, it's in the blog category...

I do that on my Linux boxes, but the Windows VM not so much till I feel totally comfortable that it's not probing or reading folders on it's own in it's idle time, I don't trust Win X....and doubt I'd run it on bare metal unless forced to but I do like what they have done if you leave out all the telemetry BS.

That's what I do......all my hardware is desktop stuff, nothing fancy, 8370 with 32g, originally I was using 4 cores and 16g splitting resources between the host and guest, later I changed it to 6 cores and later changed the memory to 24g, adding the extra 2 cores I saw a performance difference but the memory I did not of course this was running a Win 7 guest, the setup today is 6 cores and 16g....I may up the ram back to 24g after everything is seasoned well and I do a little benchmark-ing, I'm sure Win X will be able to use it more than Win 7 could.

1 Like

Oh wait.....to show how much of a noob I am......I use the vert-manager GUI to create my VMs...lol

try using the unsafe cache, threaded mode. May help.

1 Like

hm maybe i used some dodgy drivers after all. Well i'll test those once i'm back home.

I have an airgapped machine on bare metal and freaks out every now and then. "Please connect this device to the internet to receive updates"

No thanks Microsoft, I see what you're trying to do. Here's an update package on a USB drive.

Also, why is your CPU showing up as an opteron 63xx series if you're on an 8370? Mine shows the i7-6700k properly in vm.

checksum the ISO when the download finishes.

Eh, it takes a while to get all the names straight. Just imagine trying to wrap your head around OpenStack.

1 Like

The 8370 for some reason has never shown up correctly in any VM I have built, I just assumed that Win X was reporting it as a 63XX because I was passing 6 cores to it and it knew it was a AMD platform....6300 is a 6 core CPU...never really gave that much though but did notice it, I've always assumed that virtual CPU cores where hard for the guest OS to determine just what it is, then of course it's a AMD CPU I never expected it to be 100% at anything...lol

Yup....and it's a ever changing landscape at times.. ;)

Possibly. I know that Intel has specific ID's for each chip that can be passed to the VM, but AMD may not have that. Not really an issue, just kinda curious about it.

It really is. That's why I'm trying to shed some light on some of the cooler stuff that Linux has at its disposal in my Pragmatic Neckbeard posts.

1 Like

I believe I read that would be implemented in Ryzen, if you think about the age and architecture of what I'm using I'm surprised modern virtualization even knows what it is....oh wait!

Eh, AMD is almost always on the cutting edge of technology, they just have a hard time keeping up with Intel, pound for pound, in performance.

1 Like