Will we see copper 10G switches like this but, with PoE?

Man if it had PoE it would be PERFECT! i bet in another 5 years with PoE BT and 10G mainstream it will almost be a whole other ball game! never mind being at waaayy more affordable prices.

What do you have that’s 10gig and poe?

2 Likes

Maybe if 10G wifi is ever a thing (as long as it can be an access point under the watt limit of said PoE port). Otherwise I doubt there would be much of a use case for 10G ports with PoE…

1 Like

So, probably not what OP is looking for, but HPE Aruba has switches with Smart-rate ports that’ll do 1, 2.5, 5 and 10gbe and PoE. Intended to drive large deployments of high density access points at 2.5 and 5gbps, they’ll push 60 watts per port too. 2930M is one such switch. Quite expensive though, like price of a nice vacation or decent used car. The more affordable 2930F does 1gbe PoE plus 4x 10 gigs sfp+ ports… It’s even available in a very cute 8-port version.

1 Like

Ubiquiti has a 10GbE POE++ switch.

2 Likes

I thought ports that are Poe could only have 100mbps?

1 Like

Maybe that was the case at some point but I’ve never run into that limitation.

1 Like

I thought the 100mb was because standard cables have 4 pairs, 1 pair can do 10mb, 2 pairs 100mb, 4pairs 1gb or 100mb+power on other two pairs?

But I don’t know how 10gb works over Ethernet

Only 1 pair deliver power the Brown wires or pins 7/8

So apparently Poe can use the data pins too depending on implementation

https://pinoutguide.com/Net/poe_pinout.shtml

1 Like

Thanks man

1 Like

Honestly the physical layer never gets enough love

1 Like

10g for data poe for APs and IP Cams. 10G ports generally can do 1gig or 100m.

i saw one finally it’s several grand, a guy on /r/homelabs was looking for a price check on his. 48 port 10g copper with poe, managed. $2-5K on ebay

the kicker is my 24 port switch at home is plenty and it barley tops 12" deep so it fits in the microscopic data closet/hole for the switch and mode.

That’s cheap. Check the price on the top end 48 port 2930M from Aruba

poe 802.blahblah Bt PUSHES 100watt delivering 75watts usable to the device! which is great for PoE run/powered PoE switches so they can run more than just APs and IP Cams OR for repeating you could string quite a few repeaters.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.