Will L1T KVM work with my setup?

Hey all, looking to get a KVM that supports me setup and wondering if L1T KVM will support my use case (which I think is simple enough).

I need to switch between 4 computer on my ultra-wide monitor.

• Monitor: LG 49WL95C-WE [1]
    • I need 5120x1440@60hz + audio.
  • Computer 1: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 [2]
  • Computer 2: Quadro RTX 4000 [3]
  • Computer 3: old card, don’t care if resolution is limited
  • Computer 4: Mac Book Pro 2019 (need a USB-C/DP adapter).

All computer work as expected whe plugged directly into the monitor. I’ve already tried 2 KVMs from Amazon. I’m not entirely sure if my ultra-wide resolution is considered 4k or 8k, but I assumed it’s 4k based on the pixel count.

The first one [4] I bought didn’t work. My bad, I didn’t notice it was limited to 4k@30hz. That said, Linux was limited to 3840x1080@60hz. I’ve since returned it and got refunded from Amazon.

The second one [5] I bought was basically the same. Even thought it says 4k@60hz, it was still limited to 3840x1080@60hz. I did try to create a custom modeline with xrandr. I could get the full monitor resolution, but was limited to about 50hz max and audio wouldn’t work. Still haven’t returned it.

Now, I’m getting tired of testing KVM. I just want one to work. Maybe it’s only a matter of properly configuring some part of Linux, but I doubt it. I did talk a bit with ConnectPro supports concerning their KVM [6], it wasn’t entirely convincing if it would work. I didn’t quite understand it, but they said I should force DP 1.2 in my monitor settings and their KVM would work.

Anyway, here’s some questions for people here:

• Do you think I missing something in the configuration?
  • Do you think the L1T KVM will work in my use case?
  • Do we have an ETA when the L1T KVM will be in stock?
  • Can you recommend a USB-C/DP adapter for my MacBook?

[1] www.lg .com/us/monitors/lg-49wl95c-we-ultrawide-monitor
[2] www.sapphiretech .com/en/consumer/pulse-rx-580-8g-g5
[3] www.pny .com/nvidia-quadro-rtx-4000
[4] www.amazon .ca/dp/B07HRBBLWN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
[5] www.amazon .ca/dp/B099PKY4CF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
[6] connectpro .com/products/udp-14ap-displayport-1-4-kvm-switch-for-single-monitors-and-4-systems

Hello! Hopefully I can answer some of your questions.

The first thing I noticed is your GPU.

I found this from Tom’s Hardware:

The 580 says it’s DP 1.4 “ready” so I’m assuming it should at least be compatible with a DP 1.4 KVM. However, I must add especially old AMD Linux drivers could be a little sketchy…

It could be that your VBIOS is old, and if the card is DP 1.4 ready, maybe they fleshed that out in more recent VBIOS.

i would check if there is an actual VBIOS update for your Radeon RX 580. (NOT graphics driver) The latest I could find from Sapphire is 2018:

Absolutely. Here at L1 we use Moshi:

This cable is expensive, however, I can assure you it is the best we’ve found. Surprisingly, a quality USB-C to DP (display & data) is hard to find!

You may also consider this product from us:

This product will take your DisplayPort connection and convert it to USB-C. This is if you would like to use our USB-C KVM instead of our DisplayPort 1.4 KVM. Probably not? But I wanted to throw it out there as an option.

We can confirm our DisplayPort 1.4 KVMs work at 5120 x 1440 up to 120Hz without DSC (display screen compression) and up to 240Hz with DSC. We tested this with a Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo:

IMPORTANT - You need good cables. It so, so important. There’s a detailed explanation in the FAQ/troubleshooting thread below, but I’ll give you a primer here. The L1T KVM, and probably other brands, see all the cables as 1 long cable. if you use long copper cabling, the signal will degrade. This causes many graphics and usability problems. Your resolution & hz could very well be limited because of bad cabling.
We use FIBBR fiberoptic cables to prevent this:

Check out the official FAQ/troubleshooting thread here for more info:

If you are very interested in purchasing a KVM now, you can email an inquiry to us at

[email protected]

I’m sure @wendell can also assess your situation and help you.

Our KVM should work for you. Get some good cables. Either Club3D or FIBBR & you will be fine.

Update, I think we have a 580 actually. I will test it with our Samsung G9 Neo & post the results here :slight_smile:

I have a ATEN 1924, works perfectly fine tested so far with Radeon Pro WX2100, Radeon 6800XT and RTX2080, Linux and Windows 4k 60Hz.

I have it almost two years, there may even be a newer model

There are a lot of bad KVMs on the market, I’ve had my experience in the last 20 years.

There is one catch, the KVM emulates a 3 button Mouse, if you want more for gaming, you have to connect a second mouse directly to your gaming rig.

Received my KVM today. Works like charm! MacBook works well with the recommanded adapter. Thank you @Level1_Amber !

4 Likes

Awesome! That’s great to hear, and glad I could help :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.