WHY! - TrueNAS Core Keeps Crashing During Upload

I have a Proxmox build with a TrueNAS core VM running. Everything is up and going fine, I have the windows share accessible and can read/write to it.

Whenever I start a mass upload to it, (Emptying a 500GB External drive) suddenly the entire VM crashes to an unrecoverable state.

Any ideas? Im fairly new to ProxMox and TrueNAS. All my googling has turned up is that its a NIC issue for non intel NIC but im using the onboard NIC for now…

Baremetal is a HP z230 (I7-CPU)

I have a few ideas, maybe one will help:

• Make sure you have reserved a static amount of RAM for the VM
  • Turn off ballooning RAM if not done already, the VM also shouldn’t be allowed to use swap
  • If you’re not accessing your Hard Drives through a passed-through HBA or PCIe SATA Card, that might be a problem
1 Like

So its 1 drive connected VIA sata, I was really just trying to make use of an spare drive. I have redundancy taken care of I was just wanting to recycle this box into a homebrew network storage device. Any suggestions for a PCIE card add in?

That would be the problem, unless if you passed through your onboard SATA controller as a whole.

I can’t really recommend you any simple PCIe → SATA Cards, not much experience in that area and be warned that there is quite a few products which might appeal in price but not performance.

Lots of people who have more drives in their homelab use LSI Cards, like the LSI SAS 9211-8i. You can also pick those up from OEMs like Dell, but make sure that the specific model can be flashed into IT Mode (so it doesn’t act as a Raid Card and just passes the drives through). And read up on adequate Cooling if you buy one.

If you don’t want to buy more Hardware, do one of the following things:

• Run the ZFS Share directly out of Proxmox. That works perfectly fine and the OS has baremetal access to the SATA controller already. Proxmox has lots of integrated Features to manage ZFS and Network Shares.
  • Choose Truenas as your Hypervisor

Did you assign HDDs via Proxmox GUI or did you pass the Sata controller through? I had similar problems as you with basic VM setup. after using EFI Boot along with full controller passthrough, I got rid of all lockup and other wierd (performance) problems. My TrueNAS is working flawlessly ever since.