Why there is no System Backup in Windows 10 (that works)

I can’t believe Windows 10 doesn’t have a system backup feature that wouldn’t be a decade old. Essentially I would like to have a way to restore my system without having to reinstall every piece of software.

I know there is the ancient Backup and Restore but I have never got it working and it is too slow for any production use.

What I do is I use EaseUS Todo Backup and I have successfully used that to restore couple of times. It does work but costs a little and also they charge through Cleverbridge which has a questionable reputation.

Every time when I have asked this question from those wiser than me I have got answer “Why don’t you just backup your documents folder or keep your data on other drive”. Yeah I know… but am I the only person who thinks having entire system backup is actually useful?

I need a way to recover fast because I use this stuff for work and reinstalling every piece of software I need for work, while inputting each license key and such.

here’s why broken down

MS fires its testers
you are the beta tester
nobody uses MS backup
nobody tests it
nobody knows its broken

System Image & Restore worked for me three or four years ago. I’ve done backups recently with it, but no restores.

Yes it is the same tool as from Windows 7 but is there something wrong with it?

2 Likes

further enforces nobody knows because nobody uses it and nobody tests it

I have done backups more recently as I said. The files appear to be there in the VHD so I believe it works.

So, you don’t know of anything wrong with it. Got it.

2 Likes

Did you use a local disk for it?

No. I use Windows Pro which allows network target for image backups, and a directory on my NAS.

1 Like

I dd my windows drive to an image on an external drive.

You can do this with an ubuntu live usb stick if you don’t have linux installed.

I found an old article on the process which may be helpful:

I used acronis to take monthly full disk images of the boot + data drives, and daily incremental backups between. Clones perfectly, once you know how it works.

Not too expensive either.

1 Like

FYI, I checked on my 10 home laptop and it also lets me choose a network location such as my nas.

I’ve also used the backup and restore utility with success in the past, though more recently I just sync data I want to keep and reinstall if I have issues… which has been never basically.

2 Likes

I’ve used Clonezilla on a usb stick boot off it and then backup and or restore from the images it makes. Will work across networks too.

1 Like

Acronis True Image.

1 Like

Control Panel has a Backup and Restore option that allows you to create a windows image. You can restore this image with any installation medium, even corrupt install media made with Etcher or dd.

I test restores MONTHLY. It is successful every time.

The image itself takes a little less than an hour, and it backs up ~300GB to a USB 3.0 spinning rust hard drive. The restoration takes about 15 to 20 minutes, maybe, I’ve never counted but the time always seemed adequate.

I’ve played games and ran a full development environment while the backup was running.

There is also PowerShell:

wbadmin start backup -backupTarget: {B:} -include:C: -quiet -allCritical

Create a Windows Task to run that whenever you want.

Good luck.

5 Likes

Par for the course imo.

1 Like

I recommend Macrium Reflect (free edition) which is a drive imaging software with scheduler and an option to restore on boot up.

Btw, timed it today…

Install media: PNY 64GB USB 3.0
Image source: Toshiba 1TB USB 3.0 5400
Destination drive: Samsung 970 NVME