Why The Government Shouldn't Break WhatsApp

An amazing video by Tom Scott that describes the problem of backdoors in a way that everyone could understand.

4 Likes

He makes some key points about encryption and nation states/ authorities mishandling of data. It's a simple analogy of the wire tap/ back door encryption and having a modern look at that would be akin to MITM attack or what's going on now, with Samsung TV's, Cars, SMBv1, OpenVPN, Browser Vulnerabilities or even to an extent the Amazon Echo case and the like. The problem is that they want all the data suspect or not.

2 Likes

Great video, more people need to understand why backdoors in encryption shouldn't happen, it makes security worse and in society is a bad situation for everyone down the line, especially those in government should to take note of it. I am particularly concerned about this as living in the UK my government is more than eager to go ahead with this and I'm not willing to trust them with this kind of power.

1 Like

Another political softball thrown by Tom Scott.

The idea that encryption backdoors would do anything to abate terrorism is laughable. The only solution is to ban people who subscribe to a different culture and belief set than what is in your country. Keep the muslims out and islamic terrorism goes away. But the globalists have infected the minds of so many that we may be past the point of no return. Fortunately, there are a few countries who have enough pride and nationalistic determination to resist.... for now.

2 Likes

I really like Tom Scott´s analysis and i although my ideas are a bit more aggressive on the matter he makes a great case on why this is a very bad idea. I can definitely use this video to inform a few people in my family that are less technically informed to understand how much of a serious matter this would be. This is good stuff.

4 Likes

(((Globalists)))

1 Like

So bye bye to the millions of white supremacists in the USA then? Deported to... who gives a fuck... just not where I live.

I don't get it. You are on a forum that frowns upon general political discussion and you take every single opportunity to spew your political garbage.

2 Likes

The internet was created out of political necessity. If I am wrong correct me and provide proof.

1 Like

This is not the thread for political discussions. Take that elsewhere.

This is for talking about the video and the technology talked about in the video

I have to ask what the relevance of your statement, to the topic, is? I don't even see the relevance of your statement to my off topic post.

That guy decided he would bestow his solution to a problem of terrorism, unrelated to giving third parties (gov) a path to decryption on private applications under force of law. No one asked him about his particular point of view and it is therefore general political discussion as it is unrelated to tech or the topic at hand.

Sorry about that DJE. No... I don't think a government should not be able to force a company to write code in that manner, unless the code is designed for that particular government and the government WANTS the backdoor in (what would be) their own software.

If they want to control WhatsApp, they can simply ban every device that is capable of running it... or crack it themselves.

I believe the five I's are relevant to the topic as mentioned in the video.

...and how does that relate to my post? You replied to me as to say something.

You asked for relevance to the video. And I provided you with the relevance. Did you know that there is also code in our currency? You might wanna go and take a look at u.s. currency that has been changed in 1996.

What does THIS have to do with anything in the thread. This is a general statement that is missing information. I could easily state that the internet was created simply because the technology of the time allowed it to function purposefully. Yes, it is a true statement but it lacks completion and vast amounts of detail.

You then jump to this... like WTF? A surveillance agreement between five modernized nations.

Sorry, I am tired. Please connect the dots like I am five years old.

wtf are you talking about?

He means mixed Asians in Eastern Europe.

The south lost. They got their fucking asses kicked. GTFO. Leave. No? Why not? They don't fucking belong in the USA.

Dumbest white folk on earth.

Do you know what "non sequitur" means?

who is the racist?

Keep running.

lol

You're too retarded for words. However, it looks like the programming is working.