Why should anyone care that much about steamOS?

I tried a couple of popular distros and I didn't see anything that is worth switching from windows for.

I was actually disappointed by the quality of software for everyday use.

That is true on all accounts: the industry makes anti-competitive deals to prevent users from using the hardware they've invested in to the fullest extent, so that they keep spending in order to "unlock new achievements" or "unlock new features", and they believe it. I'm not going to complain, the entire added value of the IT sector is based on the gullibility of uneducated consumers, part of my income depends on just that, but that doesn't mean that I can defend the mechanism as such. The market is big enough for everyone to make a good living educating people, and when they are all educated, to come up with real innovations so the whole thing can start over again, there is absolutely no need to "keep 'em barefoot and pregnant", there are also civilized ways of doing business, whereby both the vendor and the consumer respect one another. If the vendor stops respecting the consumer, the consumer will end up stopping to respect the vendor, which is what Microsoft, nVidia, etc... are beginning to experience now. Think of it: nVidia had all the aces, but still AMD came out at least with equal chances. Microsoft had everything, but they let Steve Ballmer call the shots and face severally reduced chances of long term growth and prosperity, HP was the biggest PC hardware manufacturer on the planet, and now it contemplates shutting production of PCs down, etc...

As to the people's opinion, substract the scare marketing tactics of those same corporations from the equation, and it isn't a factor anymore, but yeah, even if linux ever makes it as prevalent single user GUI desktop OS, only a couple of functions will be used by the vast majority, and those will be the same functions they use on OSX or Windows, because that's all they need, but at least they will be safer and have more spare time and more leftover money. The thing I'm worried about is the people that really want to go into computing, the real geeks, the people that want to make something using computers, that are locked in by a bunch of artificial marketing-induced prejudices and lies.

That's very improbable and extremely hard to believe, but statistically, it's possible, so I accept it from a scientific point of view, there is always standard deviation, and a Gauss curve can cover some pretty untypical results, the proverbial exception that proves the rule you know, can't argue with statistics...

Not very educated on this topic, but linux is something I will be intensely checking out after my exams are done and I order my parts (that will be on windows for various reasons by the looks of it), but i want to put steam OS on my 'broken' laptop (it's just the screen) and my current one, to keep it snappy and good for the next couple of years.

I'll also just throw this out there, you will probably all want to check this out.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/25689-open-source-alternatives-to-many-common-programs/

So you think it's very unlikely that a person can compare windows software and linux software and choose the former?

If you want to continue this discussion, I can give examples of what I use on windows and what I tried on linux and didn't like. I can also install a linux in a virtual machine and ask you what else should I try.

I have to agree with some of the "Dissentient",s on this one.

I'll try steam os if I can stream from my main machine into the living room and utilize all the heavy lifting hardware I've spent so much money on.  I'm a console convert, so using a controller on the couch is familiar and more comfortable that my desk when I want to relax.

Then there is the "linux is awesome" crowd that this type of forum is known for.  Linux is OK, but I was turned off by using it.  I ran ubuntu a little while ago and was not impressed, so I don't see the point.  I need to run office, adobe suite, solidworks, games, pro-tools, and a number of other heavy lifting applications.  Windows simply does it better in the real world.  If I have a problem in windows, I can quickly search the internet and find a user (non programmer) friendly solution.  If I have a problem in linux, I run into programmers who have me typing things into command lines and assume I am another programmer and know what they are talking about.  The intellectual time cost of entry is too high for someone who doesn't program for a living.

Then, convincing my wife or mother to convert to a new OS for no reason they can determine is another heavy lift.

Im gladly waiting for the day I can switch to linux.. As soon as my AMD CARD STARTS WORKING WITH IT.

I think most of you are missing the point.  Whether it be windows or linux or dos or [insert operating system here], it's UI will likely be thrown out in favor of big picture.  This is not meant to replace whatever you're using for productivity.  It's meant for you to game on.  If you don't want to dual boot it on your GD pc (which I think is a retarded idea anyway), you need to put it on different hardware to play it or stream it from your PC.

Windows vs Linux is not relevant when arguing about your UI or SteamOS for that matter.  Will you be able to build and install those listed productivity apps?  Probably, but I would wager that 0 to 1 and a 1/2  people in here will use that OS in favor of their current Linux distro or windows or mac when it comes to everyday use.  The thing is designed to play games.  Only those who are hardcore about linux customization will screw with it in any way other than that, granted we don't know what Steam has in mind for an 'app store'.

What the OS needs to do is manage itself like consoles or phones already do and that management probably needs to be done mostly in the background like console and phone users are already used to.  Over-complication on the users end will not bode well for this OS, even though linux enthusiasts and techies are excited for this, it has to appeal to those who text using one letter representations of 3 letter words. 

Saying something is true implies that it is objective. If you wanted to express the fact that you don't like Linux all you have to say is "I don't like the way things run on Linux", not "applications don't run as well on Linux."

Why don't you list steps of installing a program not from a repository.

Or even better, steps to run a windows game in linux.

After initial configuration, its the same as in windows.

Download the package file, install it. 

Package files are still easier than installing windows programs, though.

Installing windows games are as easy as configuring Wine once, then installing them exactly the same as in windows.

Download the package file, install it.

Not when you need to compile the package first. With missing dependencies.

If its in a packaged file, you don't need to compile it.

Compiling is CREATING a package file. Not using one.

Also, Windows has dependencies, as well.

Anyone else who's more interested in the control than the OS?....

Controller looks terrible.

If its in a packaged file

And if it's not? For example,

Installing packages from the AUR is a relatively simple process. Essentially:

1. Acquire the tarball which contains the PKGBUILD and possibly other required files, like systemd-units and patches (but often not the actual code).
  2. Extract the tarball (preferably in a folder set aside just for builds from the AUR) with tar -xzf foo.tar.gz.
  3. Run makepkg in the directory where the files are saved (makepkg -s will automatically resolve dependencies with pacman). This will download the code, compile it and pack it.
  4. Look for a README file in src/, as it might contain information needed later on.
  5. Install the resulting package with pacman:

Also, Windows has dependencies, as well.

There are a handful of them and they are generally included with the installer.

Also, for a new user, installing soffware on linux is not faster than installing software on windows because you have to find what you want to install first, and choosing what to install usually requires looking at the screenshots of the program.

Packages are compiled, installing a package is just a command line. If dependencies are not satisfied you can always get the single packages and install them manually. But you have to be very unlucky if nothing of that is found in the repositories. As far as running Windows games goes, you barely have to do anything. Install Wine (it is on the repos), run the executable. Also install DirectX if needed as you would under Windows.

The steps you listed were

Download the file

Extract the file

Run the command in the terminal

Holy crap, three steps! wowzers!

LOL. That's really it. It's just that people read "Tarball" and go batshit crazy. OHMAHGAWD WAZZDAT? It may be a little confusing at the beginning, but difficult? Not really...

You missed one. Or two, depending on how you look at it.

Download.

Extract.

Running a command in the directory means that you either have to start terminal from it or change current directory to it.

makepkg

And then pacman -U /path/to/pkg.tar.xz

Which makes the whole process more bothersome than typical windows installation process because of the amount of switching windows and typing involved.

My point is, this is a horrible user experience. Way more horrible than Next > (click) Next > (click) Finish (click)