Why my Legion 5 Pro 1TB SSD has slower read speed?

• My L5P came with 1TB SSD and 32GB (2 x 16GB) SR rams
  • The 1TB SSD is SKHynix HFS001TDE9X084N
  • I replaced the bad secondary timings stock 32GB (2 x 16GB) SR rams with better secondary timings Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) SR rams, just like what Jarrod did in his review video
  • In BIOS I did notice the UMA Frame Buffer Size changed from 4G to 2G after I replaced the rams

I used CrystalDiskMark to test my 1TB SSD against the result of ultrabookreview’s. The SEQ1M Q1T1 read test result shows about 450MB/s slower than ultrabookreview’s. Please note that ultrabookreview’s review unit did have 16GB rams and 2 x 1TB SSD.

• What might be the reasons my 1TB SSD has slower read speed?
  • Is that could be because I downgraded the rams? Does it have something to do with the 2G UMA Frame Buffer Size in the BIOS?
  • Is that could be because ultrabookreview’s review unit has 2 x 1TB SSD?

Need help understanding the issue! Thanks!

First off decreasing your memory will always lead to the OEM’s BIOS/EFI adjusting the UMA Frame Buffer.

SSD speeds vary with the OEM supply chain, SKHynix SSDs are used by many other OEMs and performance/reliability is much lower than the OEM variant of a Samsung EVO or Crucial SSDs.
Depending upon how your OEM BIOS/EFI works, its also possible the less system memory also changed the system’s memory cache–some OEMs will have use auto dynamic cache(1-2GB of system memory) to boost read/writes like you see with some retail SSDs that include performance toolkits.

I think it probaly is not the cause, because ultrabookreview’s review unit did have 16GB rams and 2 x 1TB SSD. As I downgraded the ram from 32GB to 16GB as well. I really don’t know the cause of issue now.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.