Why Linux?

Alright going to get working on Steam now, I am not sure How to get League of legends working, but apparently it is pretty easy. Also I have heard that some distros do not support steam or are not supported by steam does this really matter? I am an Arch user is it really an issue or misinformation?

I believe LoL works out of the box with 'play on linux' installed. I dont know for sure though because I'm a filthy windows peasant who doesnt enjoy the masochism trying to get linux to play my games.

Alright will look into that Have never used play on Linux I may still use windows, but hey why not try if it dose not work out for me then back to windows i go for me Vidya games.

Steam is pretty much universal at this point. Its probably not on like..... Sourcemage..... and one person was mad. Lol.

And league is installable via play on linux I believe?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/League_of_Legends

Lutris is suuuuuuper coooooool why have I never heard of this?

No i have not, but I will look into it.

Dafuq? oO Never seen that. Gonna try tomorrow ... later ... it's almost 5:00 .... I should sleep a bit.

1 Like

Yeah, NEVER heard of this. Its like an all-games-manager. Can do your steam for you even...... THIS IS SUPER COOL WTF.

All comes to your use case. If you can find free Open Source alternatives for what you use your computer for, then go linux.

If there are programs you need that are only on windows/mac like Adobe then you can run windows in a vm on linux, or just run windows.

If you like and prefer linux and can do everything with a linux setup (or run windows in a vm whatever), then run linux.

If you like and prefer windows and can do everything with windows (or run linux in a vm whatever), then run windows.

Really tho, try not to fanboy for an OS, just like and use what you like and what works for you. If you have a some deep, un-shaking, irrational hatred for anything Microsoft, then go about your day on Linux and move on. If you have no problem with using windows and prefer it, then use windows, and move on. It's really not a big deal.

Why Linux?

Because It's Free..

Using GNU / Linux is a breath of fresh air in the beginning, up until you need to get work done and then you start hunting for alternatives for the software you've been using for years. GNU / Linux to me is a hobby OS. really you use it so you can build up your knowledge for future employment. That's it. As you become more and more aquainted with Linux you will see you will get obscenely bored and start challenging yourself to do things. Manually configuring kernels, installing Gentoo for no reason, and then fighting about which Distribution is better, but they are all bad in all reality.

That is my pessimistic view point of Linux. You should definitely try it out and use it, but just try it out on a laptop first. You have freedom and choice to do what you wish, but be aware Linux is not Windows.. there is a learning curve to Linux.

It's free, customizable as much as you think, the interfaces feel like a breath of fresh air, you get the most basic stuff with the installation, (think office, firefox and gimp), it's securer, faster, doesn't crash every other day and whatnot.

Thanks you so much for posting Eben Moglen's talk. Why have I not heard of his name before? He crystallizes a lot of what I have been thinking for a while now in a way that Stallman does not. This is likely due to Stallman's focus on sacrifice and principle as opposed to the actual objective:

With Stallman, if you are trying to create a world of plenty, the idea of focusing on sacrifice and principles just seems counter-productive to me. Power matters over principle. Utility over sacrifice. Knowledge over ignorance. Morality over equality. Stallman prefers power through principle, limited utility and equality as equivalent to morality. We just see things differently.

While there is some power to be gained through principle, principle will not win over the masses, utility will, regardless of who gets the actual power, as the masses are always happy to surrender it. And so I would rather make the argument through utility, as the FSF does. They "hit the ground running," as Moglen describes, with free software and ideas, ones that themselves are perfectly usable as is that encourage adoption. The difference being that, from the sys-admin angle, I would prefer to patch software with non-free components so people do not notice they are actually notice what they are using.

The cost of going 100% free is extraordinary, especially in terms of time, and not being content with 99%, which Moglen advocates, is why Stallman gets right called an extremist. Since time is the only resource you cannot get back, of the utmost utility, I prefer the 99% style approach.

Why?

Why not?

1 Like

Everything, but photoshop, but I can dual boot for that.

yeah that is my plan now.

working on getting this set up I have a dual boot, but the programs other than adobe apps are pretty light school programs (no idea why they are not web apps).

Doing both of the currently, I am still distro hoping, have found one i enjoy, but still looking to just know what is out there and differences.

This is one of the biggest points I need to get in my head, they are tools need to pick best tool for the current job at hand. I think windows is going to be for creative style work and linux for programming and stuff (other than visual basic i think thats windows only). And yeah I made to big of a deal out of this... I really liked the responses and am glad i asked.

I think this is where I am it is difficult to switch to new programs and for me hotkeys.

Yeah this is how i feel about it, it is either a hobby OS for people that enjoy the grid of Linux or it is for people that only really need a browser and Social media.

This is on the list, I want to, but I am worried about time time the process of installing seems do able for me, but the time to compile everything is what i am worried about.

I have already came to terms with this,

Agree, been on Linux for a few months, still learning I enjoy it because of the learning curve. I dove into arch thinking it was the super elite OS then after I am just like yep Install is "hard" after that It is pretty much the same only reason I stayed was the Wiki and AUR.

I agree this sums up most of one peope have said and are all ready good reasons to use Linux.
Security I need to learn a bit more about.

You got me there :slight_smile:

1 Like

I might have missed it. Whats your usecase for photoshop?

mostly photo editing/ light graphic design, nothing professional at the moment. I know Gimp and other are great, but i bought it just before my switch back in Feb so i thought i might as well use it while I am under the CC contract.

Gimp is still a pain to use for anyone that is used to PS. The UI just does not make sense.
Krita does a much better job and might be an alternative.

Personally I am still using mainly Lightroom with a bunch of filterpacks for my photos but also Affinity Photo and the Google NiK Collection. Those programs and the color management of macOS are hard to get away from.

The adobe stuff I think has a more consistent UI so kinda wins in that area. Krtia, Gimp, and Inkscape cover most peoples usecases, I imagine they might do what you need, though i'm guessing you've used them before.

Your in a good position in that you can use these and contribute. Bug reports, testing, documentation, etc. are all very useful in improving these programs.

If you've not used Krita recently its been improving with speed at every release. As well as the normal features. They've been implementing new features via kickstarter funding. You can see the recent info here

Many people believe that if you don’t want to use the Windows operating system ,the next option is MAC.Most of them are not familiar with Linux or Linux distors. Most of them thinking Linux is only using in Servers.In actuality, the Linux family offers a host of sleek, functional and user-friendly desktop environments, many of which offer an equal (or even superior) alternative to Windows.

Regards,
Christian