Why i'm back to Windows 10 from Linux

Can’t boot Windows on that.

2 Likes

Art thou’st sureith? :thinking:

Perhaps for a high performing VM, then :wink:

1 Like

My Freebsd VM likes being on an external M2 SSD in a usb case. The disk is disabled in Windows and passed through, Windows processes cannot touch it.

EDIT - keep meaning to see if I can boot off it on my desktop.

1 Like

VT-d is nice to have on laptops these days. :smiley:

3 Likes

:eyeroll: Arch is literally becoming the Crossfit of the Linux community.

Your sentence: 100 years in the isocubes.

3 Likes

:rofl:

No one ever talks about compiling
Yet everyone wants to pick os side and fight

The magic is in compiling correctly for the system you plan on using program on(as cpu are similiar but not identical)

Pentium 4 could compile linux kernel on boot in <20 secs so wonder how threadripper does?

Only good thing about linux is source code is open source so simple transpile gets things running on windows or unix fairly simply

Windows source is closed so not good two way share but biased to windows favor

1 Like

Thirty years ago, I had a DECstation 3100 at home. Required for work.

The reality is that Desktop Linux Software hasn’t advanced that much from that DECstation 3100. In some ways, Desktop Linux is worse.

At this point, I shouldn’t have to fight with graphics/wireless drivers just to get a system working. When I last looked at Linux, back in 1999, I was fighting with networking and graphics support. Well, not much has changed in all those years.

But, I have 10,000 distributions to choose from, with more arriving every week.

The efforts that are being put into these distributions should be going elsewhere. Why aren’t these distribution-specific applications being created as “layered product” additions to one or two standard distributions? Why aren’t some of these efforts being put into cleaning up what already is out there?

In short, you’re right. Desktop Linux was lost to Apple’s polished MacOS years ago.

2 Likes

Graphics drivers pretty much “just work”, or simply enable certain repositories (usually single click operations). Not much harder than on Windows. Wireless mostly “just works” as well, with a few problem devices (not really the OS’s fault when no drivers/documentation is available).
Fragmentation is Linux’s strength. Many people see it as a negative, and it depends on what you expect from the OS itself. Many people want, for some insane reason, Linux as a whole to be a drop in replacement for Windows/MacOS. It is not. Linux is an alternative OS for those that need certain tools/functions. Some distros do make an effort to try and be a Windows replacement, but those are few.

2 Likes

I’m sticking to Linux for now. Yesterday my system crashed 2 times in time of ten minutes, and then it just continued to work. It’s been like half a year or more this has occurred before, so i was totally worried it’s the old hardware giving it’s last breaths. I got Fedora 29 installed and it’s been very stable, one of the most stable OS i have ever had. Some minor issues with sounds and streaming there has been but those are mostly fixed, until next big update comes to that specific software…

It is concerning, but i just cant go back to that license code hell called Windows. It seems you have that awesome licence that wont bother you too much. (Most problems comes with licences when you change hardware “too often”…)

I’m also trying to sign to many different game betas as a linux user to get them data about how their code works in wraps or native and stuff. Latest i signed in is that EvE Online Aether wars test.
There in the sign in options they surprised me by having linux option on question about what operating system i’m planning to use in the test and other questions about your components like gpu and cpu…

I hope i can courage more companies to have native linux client.

My boss at my old job would dual boot because the company’s entire technology stack was based on Linux, but he viewed Windows as the One True Operating System, ordained by his Holiness the Lord Gates on the 8th day, and would boot into Windows whenever he could.

Tfw when other peoples’ flames play a role in your choice of an OS

So no choice is better than more. Well, that’s your choice.

Other points seem valid to me. Linux can be a timesink, and people want it all to

just work

And what do you do when you’re trying to find that first thing that works when the “standard way” (which varies by distro and day of the week) doesn’t? When I’m under a tight deadline and trying to google “how to do ___ in Linux” the absolute last thing I need is a million choices. All you need is the newbie “don’t care, it just needs to work” method, and the Linux guru method. I can get to guru from newbie, but I need that initial newbie-friendly method so that I can get the system up and running long enough to have the time to investigate how & why it works.

1 Like

Throw in ELI5 in your thread, and maybe someone will take the time to explain in a deeper way, while still being in an easy way, what they are telling you to do/saying.

It might not work tho. But then again it might.

Thanks, but I don’t work there anymore. I started tinkering with Linux on my laptop, but I haven’t done anything with it for a while… Hmm… I need to get back to that, thanks for reminding me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Chances are there’s a preinstalled package to do most of the stuff you need to do - more so than windows. Just use that one.

And if there isn’t, the choice of what package to install is still an issue in WIndows.

I work for $majorvendor and I used ROXterm until I found out xfce4-terminal has the ability to change tabs by scrolling with mouse wheel. stupid, but simple reason to switch. I didn’t care for years til I wondered, and searched. that’s how it should go.

I’ve run various different flavours of Linux over 16 years so here are my experiences & what just works for me. I too do not have time to tinker & fix things.

You don’t mention which flavor of Linux you were using but it sounds like Fedora if you felt like a beta tester (or maybe vanilla Arch or Debian Testing) - I’ve run them all & more besides. When you are new to Linux it is natural to try everything. It’s also the best way to learn.

As always there are pros & cons for each solution. If you want a system that just works you should consider:

Stable Linux distributions:

• Xubuntu LTS / Debian Stable (but old software versions can be a nuisance if you use your system for development or gaming) - the same goes for Centos 7. Your desktop will never break & they are great for servers but not so good for gaming.

• For me Manjaro just works. The testing they do before moving packages into the stable repos catches most problems. It’s a rolling release too so software is always up to date & you never have to reinstall your system. It makes a great development workstation. Fedora are planning to move to a similar model to improve stability. Steam works & I sometimes use this for Linux native games but I mainly use a Windows 10 kvm with GPU passthrough.

• Ubuntu / Linux Mint are good choices for new users (good forums) but are not a rolling release so you may have to reinstall every 1-2 years or so if a dist-upgrade does not end well. This shouldn’t however be a problem if you partition your disks correctly with a separate /home

Stable Desktop Environments:

• XFCE - I cannot remember any major show stoppers in 15 years. Manjaro use it for their flagship edition for this same reason. I am probably a bit biased but it’s low memory footprint & default apps I’ve always found to be good enough for day to day use. This stability is also why xfce is the top rated DE for developers.

• I never liked gnome or kde - shiny but too slow & often changing & breaking.

• If you are new to Linux it is probably a good idea to also install a 2nd desktop environment so if you have a broken desktop you can login to your secondary desktop & fix it. I use to also install fluxbox for this very reason alongside xfce when I had more time & ran Debian Testing. I don’t remember fluxbox ever breaking & it is a tiny install. It just takes a bit of time to configure.

Terminal choices, choices, choices:

• I’ve tried lots of different terminals & nowadays I just use pacmanager. Tabbed ssh / remote sessions & keypass support are great. Being able to run commands on multiple machines simultaneously is also sometimes useful. The xfce default terminal xfce4-terminal is a good alternative & backup terminal with tabs.

Showstoppers:

• Nowadays a broken grub is usually fixed with a simple update-grub run as root from a live cd or usb stick after you chroot into your broken installation. Having a Linux live usb stick is always handy. If you dual boot Windows it needs to be installed before Linux at the beginning of the disk.

• Broken desktop logins are often due to corrupted session data which are fixed by CTRL ALT F2 & logging in as root & deleting the appropriate desktop manager user session data & forcing the logout of your user session. Alternatively login to your secondary desktop as mentioned above to fix things.

• For gaming fiddling around with proton & Steam on Linux for each game is a little tedious so I have a small SSD for a Windows 10 KVM virtual machine & I also passthrough an AMD Rx 570. I get around 95% of bare metal speed & I no longer dual boot. I run dual monitors with either 1 or 2 for Linux & 1 for Windows gaming running on the 2nd input of the 2nd monitor. I have some vfio notes here.

• The Arch Linux wiki has the solutions to most problems (whatever Linux distribution you run). If you have a secondary desktop manager or Linux live usb stick (as mentioned above) it is simple to fix a broken system. The other advantage of running an Arch system is you can downgrade broken packages to a previous version while waiting for a bug to be fixed.

• Disk space is cheap - running a dual boot system is sometimes useful if you are new to Linux (& do not keep a Linux live usb stick handy). I no longer boot into Windows due to my vm performance being good enough to play The Division on high settings.

Linux inside Windows:

• Years ago before I setup KVM GPU passthrough with libvirt & VFIO on my gaming machine I ran Linux inside vmware on Windows. This worked quite well with the vm being a full screen window I could minimize & maximize like any other application.

• The downside of this solution are the privacy issues from Windows & the less than ideal performance. If you have 8 or more cores available virtualization with kvm in Linux makes much better use of your hardware if you use pinningfor the cpu cores & iothreads. Using real-time schedulers for the pinned cpu cores is the secret sauce with vfio performance.

• You also lose flexibility with your networking configuration. It is much simpler to run multiple vpn's simultaneously in Linux for instance.

As always YMMV.

11 Likes

Now that was a response. Thanks for taking the time to write all of this out.
I’ve been on many Distros. After some time back on Windows, i’ve been back to Linux for Work. I try to force myself to stop looking for stuff. I agree with everything you’ve said.
I personally really like KDE, but found it to finicky with all it’s configuration. I’m now on Gnome and enjoy it quite a bit. Yes, performance is sometimes not up to the levels of dwm or i3 i tended to run, but most stuff just works. I like it’s default theme (especially with the 3.32 release). XFCE is great, but just takes to much configuration for me, plus GTK2 Application get rarer and looks are all over the place. Gnome is really consisten in that regard. I don’t fault anyone for not liking it though.

I’m on Fedora at the moment. Just because it was the last thing i installed and i didn’t feel like reinstalling at work atm. If i do, i’ll go with debian testing. I have had great results with that in the past. Though Fedora hasn’t had any Problems on my work PC.

At home, I’m staying on Windows 10 LTSC. I keep a 256G SSD with Linux on it in my PC for those days, where i just want to check the current state. Manjaro has been great on there, but since i’m testing mostly Games, i tend to go with Ubuntu. That’s what most developers test on.

I have a spare Graphics Card laying around and wanted to test GPU Passthrough, but realized i bought a mATX board back when i got my current PC. That’s not allowing me to put in two graphics Cards. But really, i’m fine with dual-booting now. Once i’m fed up with Overwatch and such, or my Games just work on Linux, i’ll be happy to ditch Windows. Until then, Linux will be for the evenings i want to tinker with something and Windows for the rest at home.

2 Likes
  • PureOS would be a good choice to run Debian Testing. It comes with Gnome & respects your privacy.

• I ran AntiX Linux for 2 - 3 years with Debian Testing repos. It’s great for older systems & is simple to run multiple desktop managers.

1 Like