Why i'm back to Windows 10 from Linux

An OS is just a tool. Some people can hammer a nail with a screwdriver.

Virtualbox has seamless mode still I think.

only win7, win10 is… bugs.

2 Likes

@domsch1988 It sounds like a Windows 10 Pro install with hyper-V and an SSD passed through to a Linux VM would work well for you. If this is a desktop system with multiple NIC’s you could pass one of those to the VM as well.

Now you can run the VM headless and use Moba Xterm or Putty & Xming to run your Linux apps natively on Linux and isolated from Windows. It’s been a while since I did this but it worked well enough and if I wanted I could dual boot to the Linux disk too.

Just a thought if you end up needing Linux and WSL isn’t up to scratch.

In case anyone was about to ask - Microsoft hold the ‘server’ features like passing through GPU’s back from the desktop version of Hyper-V. Microsoft also play ball with Nvidia’s restrictions so you can’t pass through a gaming card like you can in KVM.

1 Like

Interesting setup, though not needed for me really.
To be honest, Windows can do anything i need for work. I have no direct use for Linux on Windows. Only, potentially, the other way around. And even then it would be more for convenience.
For anything i’d need a windows software for, there is a web client. It’s just that most websites and browsers are incredibly slow nowadays. So native applications are prefered. There is basically exactly one software left, that’s windows only and doesn’t have a web gui. And for that i use our Terminal Server. It’s not so much that there is anything i can’t do with Linux, it’s just random stuff simply not working. Like gnome-boxes at the moment. It’s now got RDP support. It plain doesn’t work. It throws a segmentation fault and that’s it. It’s not that i NEED that feature. Remmina works. But it’s again a function that’s there that just doesn’t work like it should for what ever reason. And this happens quite often with many Linux things.
Or i wanted to run an Android App on Fedora. There are some Frameworks for that. Like Shashlik. Guess what? Only a debian build and an AUR build. No RPM. The Repo is undocumented, the Build Instructions don’t work. On Windows you can just get it, install it and be done. On Linux you need a special build for any Distro or build it yourself…

1 Like

Cool, it’s a useful option to have should you need it.

I long ago replaced my Mac mini with an Ubuntu PC, but I’ve never escaped Windows. Even when I tried to run just an Ubuntu machine I ended up with a Windows VM. Having a work windows laptop wasn’t enough either. I now use a Dell laptop with Win10 and Ubuntu on my PC but with WSL, Docker, VM’s and most open source/free software available for Windows 10 booting my Ubuntu PC is now optional most of the time…

The key is that you are able to get your work done the way you want to get your work done. If you feel bad about supporting Microsoft over free software maybe find a project you like (and can use on Windows) and contribute or donate.

I agree that we Linux desktop users are not “normal”. Given the current state of “normal” I consider that a compliment.

Linux has been around for almost as long as Windows, and yet desktop Linux use is a rounding error compared to Windows. Why?

I think Linux appeals to a certain type of person. I can only speak for myself: I like to be different. The Windows 10 telemetry finally drove me here, but Linux was calling to me for some time. I enjoy running a different OS from the crowd, even if it’s a pain at times. BTW, I use Arch.

If Linux ever did take off and become popular, I suspect that rather than rejoice that mainstream programs would finally be available, a certain contingent would fork the kernel and go their own way. We’re just like that. Some of us, at least.

(Actually, mainstream acceptance would probably require Linus to make a deal with the devil and include telemetry and back doors, so a revolt and fork would be quite understandable.)

Linux is not for everyone, and I’m okay with that.

1 Like

Linus doesn’t need to, just look at Android and Chromebooks. A free software licence does not stop the collection of telemetry data.

1 Like

Linux is already mainstream and likely to be even more so, Android and ChromeOS.

ChromeOS can run standard Linux programs, including graphical X ones, safely inside linux containers.

Edit: Damn BGL, you beat me by less than a minute!

2 Likes

Pretty sure that’s Wendell’s alt :wink:

2 Likes

LOL,

But what happened to SGT Awesome?

“RIP in Peace SGTAwesome”

…and why would he “Rest in Peace, in Peace”?

These are dark times…

…I guess I missed a joke somewhere :slight_smile:

1 Like

@SgtAwesomesauce used Windows 10 for two days. In that time: His GRUB got nuked, wars broke out (again) across the Middle East, he lost precious work related projects, his house began to make strange noises and lights flicker, his dog growls at him when he enters, and the weather dropped 50 degrees.

Old Internet meme. Rather than RIP it’s RIP in Peace. The title is RIP his Windows 10 installation. I assume he ripped it off his hard drive faster than Frank Castle ripped off Jigsaw’s face.

3 Likes

To be clear, I did lose projects and get my grub nuked.

6 Likes

Good god man, you installed Windows whilst you still had Linux disks plugged in! What were you thinking…

…oh, you weren’t. That sucks, it’s something you only do once.

1 Like

It only has one disk. XPS 15.

Not to mention, Linux booted fine after installing Windows. It was an update that nuked it.

Microsoft has no respect for other OS’s

1 Like

Agreed. I had a bad experience with Windows. From now on, it gets confined to a VM.

1 Like

I have a spare 120GB M2 you are welcome to :slight_smile:

I don’t have a slot for it. Otherwise, I’d love to have it lol

External USB C SSD?