Why I use Windows

I would rather own a slightly rougher house instead of renting a flash apartment. I work in photography and design. My work computer is a Mac, but at home i run a linux box. I can do everything i need to do on linux just as easily, the only difference being the programmes i use(shotwell, darktable, gimp). Also i love not being on the leash of whatever the apple/microsoft overlords permit me to do.

I don't other than I have specific requirements that mean I have to use Windows and I would like more people to use Linux so that those requirements would be met by vendors and devs and work on Linux and allow me that flexibility.

I've had to use the registery editor in Windows more than I have the command line in modern Linux distributions.
You don't have to use the command line, you use it because you want to.

If Linux isn't ready, then why is a Linux distribution the "OS of China"?

Proves how uninformed you are doesn't it. Convertible tablets have been around for years now, people switch from tablet to laptop multiple times a day. Windows 10 prompts to switch but you have to log out for it.

You can define AAA yourself. Have a look: store.steampowered.com

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

Dell have certified almost 370 desktops to run Linux. Lenovo have certified almost 300. HP have certified 154 and ASUS have just joined the party with 24.

Almost all of these can be bought with it preinstalled.

I can't define your previous statements without having to resort to the word stupidity, sorry here's my limit...

Again, is this a bad thing? That's how it works in capitalism son :D

Then act upon it, come join us and modify our "flawed way of thinking" with your flawed and innacurate arguments...

Same, I like linux not because it's the more popular but because it's awesome.
Linux does not fit all usecases, like windows phone (doesn't have all the apps of android and IOS, see how we are getting around ?).

And that's great for you but I can't because a lot of my gear (listed previously) requires Windows, more recently some of it has gained Apple support but non of it works under Linux well apart from my 3D printers and that's only because I can run them off SD cards so no drivers are required. I would Love to be 'off the leash' which is why I started this thread. Sadly for me that means manufacturer support, that will only come with more users, that will only come with the barriers to entry being removed which is how I started this thread. A lot of Linux users are perfectly happy because what they do works for them and if it doesn't they can hack something. Most users will not do this as I have explained several times already and this along with the other points I have raised are what's holding Linux back now and have been for 20 years. Linux fan boys can get mad with me as much as they like I've heard it all before lots of times. The OS is now very solid with some great apps but it's not got mainstream support and won't if the fan boys can't see over their shells.

Can we just stop it all ?
This thread feels like arguing with a five years old, not because of "stupidity", just because a five years old does not know a lot and has fundamental flaws in his arguments...
My five years old brother is far from stupid and I love him, he just don't want to agree with me that
4 quarters = 1 dollar, simple as that.

I love you OP, but you should google :D and not mirror your opinions and usecases on everyone.
Linux is not for you granted. Just don't go further then that as you seem to be quite limited in your knowledge, this can of course be solved...

1 Like

Use Whatever OS you wan't, As long as you are getting meaningful stuff done then its fine in my books :)

http://partners.ubuntu.com/find-a-partner

Here are just some of the manufacturers that support Linux. I'm sure you'll have no trouble reading through all of that in a good day or two.

Microsoft breaks compatbility every version, meanwhile Linux keeps adding to it. My HP scanner broke in Vista yet works to this day in Linux. My dail up modem that broke in Vista worked in Linux. My printer that broke in 7 works on my Raspberry Pi Print Server. List goes on, consumer goods work fine in Linux.

Um because the Chinese government are afraid the NSA has back doors in Windows and don't trust it. Which is rightly so. Just like Russia switching to ARM for the same reason instead of Intel.

I was well aware that convertibles have been around for ages but I have read several articles saying switching would be disabled in 10 but like I fully admit I haven't been following it so yes with regards to W10 I freely admitted I was uninformed lol you seem to think my admission proves your point? lol

Ah so with regards to last years AAA titles you've listed zero I haven't looked myself I was waiting for you to tell me as I seem unable to read.

Every machine will run Linux wow so they now give you a certificate that must make all the fan boys so proud :) Why have they done this? because Windows costs money and in doing so they are trying to get a better deal of MS. It cost them nothing to certify a machine and if they can sell you one with a free OS on that more money they make.

Well done :)

Dial up modem lol you're funny :)

Exactly but I would like more choice but for that to happen things need to be fixed and/or changed that's all I have been saying.

Then change it instead of creating threads on the internet...

Well perhaps you could educate me?

Did I say I had all the answer? I said go google, again reading and googling...

I just looked through the steam catalogue and I think that there are 4 games that you could say are AAA titles and that's not 4 last year that's 4 total. GG. lol almost two whole pages out of 11 are borderlands DLC.

That's how we change it.

Nope, you live by your "standards" and serve as an example, you don't complain and tell anyone to live how you do.

Some direction would help what is it I need to google dude? What search will show me how to make all my stuff work in Linux? or help grow the user base? Dam if that's on google I'll mail it to everyone I know. It's easy to sit there and say I'm wrong and I don't know and then say google the answer......

I'm not telling anyone how to live I merely pointed out IMO what is holding Linux back agree or disagree it's up to you. The same things were true 20 years ago they're still true now.

Everyone has an opinion but not a single Linux fanboy has yet tendered a solution lots of you like telling me I'm wrong non of you has demonstrated that you're right with any of the points I raised.