Why I use Windows

Look at how the most popular desktop Linux distributions make their revenues. Providing additional services and support contracts. Donations aren't their only source of income.

Most of the people in the Linux ecosystem don't care weather their programs are closed source or open source. They look at the cost, and they choose what works for them.

You already run Linux on your smartphone and tablet. Why? because Linux was there when they became popular. Your Personal Computer has been running Windows for decades. Right now, Linux is competiting on the desktop like never before, but not in the first world.

He is spot on with his reply, except China, India and Mexico are just getting personal computers. They don't have any programs they need to keep from previous computer, so you know what they're picking up more and more?

The NSA/GCHQ spying matters certainty aren't doing Microsoft any favours either. With the Chinese banning the use of Windows 8 in government. Although the distro they choose makes Linux almost invisible that's another matter. Many distros you won't ever have to touch the command line if you don't want to. Even if it leaves that choice open to you.

Venting? It's ok, there are great points of view and if there are no insults on the playing field, everybody comes out a bit more knowledged than when they entered here.

1 Like

All but one of my library are valve games what a shock valve putting their own games on their own OS let me play oooh anything else nope can't.......

Valve is working on it because Gabe hate M$ less so the gaming demand on Linux. And Vulkan is going to be largely mantle.

Bit of trivia for you the first self powered cars were electric!

Agreed and since al the devs currently have agreements with MS for xbox they will be in familiar territory and I'm sure that scares Valve as they haven't had any competition with muscle on the PC yes there are other vendors but everyone knows steam just like everyone knows xbox live.

With the Live store coming to Windows 10 casual users will flock to it like they do on Apple/IOS Steam could find themselves painted into a corner they need to be aggressive in other ways to counter MS as currently MS have nothing of the PC gaming market well very little it's all Valves to lose. They probably need to do it more to survive than people realise.

That'll happen the day after MS release Office hell it's on everything else now.

I'd love to know where you get your numbers from Chrome OS has taken nothing of the low end people would rather pirate windows that run Chrome OS. There are entry level tablet/laptops with low specs running W8 that outsell Chromebooks hands down. More people buy Chromebooks to put W8 or Linux on than to use Chrome OS.

Made by Hacker for Hacker IS the problem.

Actually I have a Windows Phone and a Surface Pro eeeek no android......

The cost of Windows in those developing countries is prohibitive which is why they are selling free alternatives to combat this MS sells windows for $14-15. I as estimated that when X launched for every legit copy in China there was 10,000 illegal copies.

Russia have started using arm cpu's because of the alledged NSA back doors in intel's.

AAAAHHHHH GET YOU TIN FOIL HATS !!!!!

Market-share says differently.

Microsoft makes Windows very cheap, you contradicted yourself by saying it's "prohibitive" and then pointing out that they make it under $20.

Do you know about looking up and freakin' googling your stupidities before posting on a forum?
The answer has to be no, seeing your posts. I said, that they are a lot of Linux games, all you had to do is understad, acknowledge this information and look at the facts:

• You have one game

• Look at the total number of game on steam for Linux

• Try to understand the magnitude and amount of code that had to be ported for the OS

• Try to imagine what the future might look like

Before all those games, we had a couple of open source shitty games and some that were okayish. Go on the humble bundle, GOG, steam,... and tell me that there are not a lot of high quality Linux games compared to last year...

And so, is this a bad thing, why reinvent the wheel ?

All your comments leads me to think that:

• You have an inaptitude to read or understand and since you largely make up all the information you could actually be a really good sensational journalist.

• You can't google.

• You can't Deal with it

• You can't read (I said that twice, I excpect you to be able to read it)

• You have a selfish view over the world you live in, as you think that most people live as you do. Sorry to tell you & add that: Windows Phone is a tremendous flop, thank you...

Now since you do not seem to understand and read the different quality post on this thread, I can only warn others:

Don't feed the troll

1 Like

96.5% is Windows or OSX 3.5% is everything else ooooh must be huge not....

Linux 1.5%
Chrome OS doesn't even poll

Look at the mobile phone marketshare.

and that's in the US too.

850k Android phones a day vs 30k Windows Phone devic.

Microsoft funds both SUSE and Ubuntu, in fact here's Microsoft using and installing it:

1 Like

Nope.

Desktop Linux is not not in competiontion with Windows, It isn't a commercial product. They are not the same thing.

Linux does NOT need to be like Windows. That is like complaining a that a model kit does not come preassbled.

It is fine that you don't like it. But, the OS is great the way it is. Opensource software is made to be used by the people who make it, not for a customer. They owe you nothing just as you owe thme nothing.

If you don't like it write the code, it is open source after all, and stop telling people what software they need to be writing

2 Likes

Ah it's resorted to insults instead of arguing your point. Most of the games available are valve games because valve needs Steam OS more than users do. How many of the current AAA titles are on Linux you seem to know so you can save me the time of Looking them up. 1? 2? 10? wow that's a lot out of the 100's that came out last year.

And yes 10 is loads more than the year before if it were zero lol I don't have to imagine what the future looks like because the predictions are all the same as 20 years ago and we have all lived them and watch them not come to fruition. In this thread I was merely pointing out barriers to entry into Linux that fan boys can't seem to see and boy don't some of you get mad lol. I have used Linux on and off for 20 years and whilst it has developed into a really solid operating system it has failed to fulfil its potential. IMO I have stated some of the reason for this you can like them or not you can accept them or not but in 20 years the fab boy rhetoric hasn't changed and neither has the status of Linux.

It deserves more but it will never get there with closed minds under tin foil hats.

And just for the record I like Windows Phone not because it's the most popular but on a Phone the UI really works (On both my laptop and desktop I have disabled the Windows tiled interface) it also works exceptionally well on tablets.

Steam has over a 1000 Linux games. Valve doesn't have even a tenth of that.

Yeah it does, endless scrolling is annoying though. Although, Ubuntu Touch's scopes look better and this convergence works far better than what I've seen from Windows 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3PUYoa1c9M (instant switching from desktop mode to tablet mode, in Windows 10 you have to logout and log back in)

1 Like

It does not need to be like Windows indeed the conversation was around software availability being reliant on installed user base and how to drive that on Linux. As people keep saying it's catch 22 without the users you don't get the AAA apps and games and without them you don't get the users. The conversation was about what are barriers to entry and how 99% of users are not hackers. Most fan boys seems to be romantically attached to the idea of being a Linux hacker and fighting against the man. Sadly that 99% of Linux users make up 1% of the potential user base and 99% of potential users neither want nor need to be a hacker. How can we grow Linux not by touting Linux as by hackers for hackers but by removing those ridiculous over complications and showing end users that all the voodoo has gone and they can use Linux without being a hacker.

I could really care less about how many people use it and neither should you.

My Windows Phone doesn't endlessly scroll because I haven't filled it full of crap that and it has a 6" screen (like you can't have endless screens in Android?) and I was under the impression that at launch you won't be able to switch between desktop and tablet mode that they will be fixed depending upon the device you own. I had read that MS were considering changing this but the intention was for desktops/laptops to have the start menu and touch to have tiles and not be able to switch but I haven't tried any W10 builds so I don't know.

How many of last years AAA titles are in that 1000?