Why does this layout not exist?

For the life of me, I cannot understand why there is a separate column/dedicated keys for arrows and navigation when they are already within the number pad. Just give a number pad and none of the dedicated navigation keys. WHY DOES THIS NOT EXIST!?

So I just looked up a tool to design my own keyboard, and well I gon’ did it. I took inspiration from the CM QuickFire TK, Unicomp Ultra Classic (IBM Model M), and the Corsair Strafe. Ideally, this would have plate-mounted Cherry MX Clear switches (Browns are too light for me). The only thing that would make this more perfect is an integrated pointing stick.

Tried to make the image clickable, but failed. Permalink here

So thoughts? What is your ideal/perfect keyboard? If it doesn’t exist, make it over at Keyboard Layout Editor!

1 Like

Cool tool, needs to be designed better though.

First time designer here, constructive criticism welcomed. :slight_smile:

I think dvorak came up with the perfect keyboard, or tried too.
The current setup was first to slow down typing for early typewriters then The ibm PC 5150 then came the AT for advanced technology cause it came with a HD :slight_smile:

Funtion keys on the left of the first one was because IBM thought these would be used mostly as terminals and the mainframe would always be a thing
There has been a ton of speculation on what the “system required” key was for :slight_smile:

http://www.coolermaster.com/peripheral/keyboards/quickfiretk/

I am assuming there isn’t a big enough demand for it. I think it is also an awesome design also.

1 Like

It already exists though?

There’s the Quickfire TK like @Novasty linked, but there is also a very similar layout called 96-key that’s close enough as well.

Here’s my 96-key that’s my daily driver.

I did own a CM QuickFireTK, but there were a few things that really bugged me about, not least of which were the white LEDs (with the MX Brown config) - there was no way to completely turn of the LEDs, as the arrow-keys were illuminated when numlock was off, and when you turned on, you had the numlock indicator LED. They also axed the menu key in favor of a duplicate super/windows key, and it doesn’t come in Cherry MX Clear. Also, the gamer-y aesthetic doesn’t make it ideal for office use. It was definitely one of my favorites.

Unless someone complains, I don’t see why not to bring it into the workplace.

The dvorak and workman layouts in general are really fast. I generally prefer dvorak because I like having the most common letters in the normal typing groups for ease of use, those being, a o e u x j k ’ , . p d s n t c r l and m. The other keys that are less common are in the corners or center of the keyboard, but the most common are right at your fingers, additionally the literary tools are all in one spot.

2 Likes

Cherry launched a custom keyboard configurator in China.
Customization is limited to the Cherry G80-3000 keyboard at this time, but there are quite a few things that can be customized through the configurator.
In China, pricing starts at ¥704.00 ($108 USD) and goes up depending on what you choose.

http://custom.cherry.cn/

1 Like

You seems to have skipped an entire generation of Cooler Master keyboards…
That was their entire thing…
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81EmQYwfIML.SL1500.jpg
Still I rather have full size keyboard now that I have played with a TKL design. I miss the ability to press enter with the thumb of the mouse hand…

Personally I would dump the arrows and Nav Cluster, move the Numpad right next to enter with a small gap, put another 20-24 keys where the numpad was, F1-F24 and remove the Caps Lock and replace it with a Meta key.

Something like this. Didn’t look that over to well but probably right. Put the Nav Cluster back in so it didn’t look weird… er…

I’ve been wanting to do a mechanical keyboard re-creation of this old apple keyboard ever since I used to use one.

I think what you are looking for is called the Red Scarf III 96 key keyboard.

3 Likes

I like the concept of Dvorak, but I never really dedicated the time to learn it. I just switched the keycaps around on my Unicomp Ultra Classic so I might start some typing tutor.