Why can't I use 144hz on my new monitor?

I just got my brand new VG248QE 144Hz monitor by Asus and I hooked it up with HDMI and am running at 1080p. I went into screen resolution> advanced settings> monitor and see that my display is recognized as Generic Pnp monitor and the Hz options don't go beyond 60Hz. I looked in the nVidia control panel and it recognizes the monitor as "Ancor Communic..." (that's all it says) and Hz options still don't go beyond 60Hz. Anyone able to help?

You need to use DVI-D for 144hZ.

Oh damn, I didn't know DVI-D was the only output that supported higher refresh rates. Thanks man.

Pretty sure DVI-I and -D will both work fine. you NEED a "(Dual Link)" connector to run 60hz+

Can't you also use display port instead?

I'm sorry this is a bit old and I am bouncing from forum to forum trying to find something to aid me with this. The monitor itself (same model) comes with a DVI-D cord. It also comes with Nvidia software I have uninstalled my drivers used driver sweeper and reinstalled my drivers to no avail (video) I have also installed monitor drivers from disk but not Nvidia stuff I will try it yet I'm using a 7970 (amd) Kind of lost don't know if I need to oc like http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher or what I assume I'm good because the lightning comes pre overclocked to an extent and the numbers I found on clock speeds looked well anyhow... thoughts?

Okay I'm kind of lost now but I guess you have to go from the mini-display to dvi?

They are listed as Single-link DVI-D x 1

http://www.overclock.net/t/1358464/does-amd-support-144hz/10

Incase that helps you don't know what you're running with. Going to get a DP - DVI-I (I suppose it is) and see how that works for me. Hope it helps if you haven't already resolved your issue.

Can I ask whats the bebefit of getting a 144hz monitor, the human eye cannot see past 30fps and 3d needa only a 120hz display.

The "eye can only see 30fps" falacy has been proven wrong many times. 

Some people are able to discern the difference, others cannot. It's the same as with art or music. I can tell when someone is singing flat, many (most) people cannot. Does that mean that I'm a freak and the human ear isn't meant to hear those ranges of sound? Of course not, I just have good ears.

I can tell the difference between 30 and 60, and I can certainly tell the difference between 60 and 120. The game is far more fluid, and you capture a lot more detail and information. 120Hz (or 144 in this case) is worth it if you are good enought to take advantage of that.

But still why 144hz, why not a 120hz monitor if he's into 3d Gaming.

I dunno? Ask the OP! XD

Oh yah... The difference though between 30 and 60fps I would say is greater than 60-120. Maybe not more noticeable, but more playable I suppose? 30 fps isn't playable for me, looks like a slide show. :P

In point I would say to get what it offers as in why buy an 8 core and only use 4? or a V8 and only use 6 cylinders. I would personally be happy to atleast pull the 120 but if it's a slight scroll to tell it 144 then why not? I was also like why go beyond what the human eye can see due to studies I heard of from the past and people explained some things with how it nullifies blurs and such. I ended up going with the 144hz 1ms over an ips or ... nvm gtg

somethimes you can install a driver  for your monitor, to let it recognize as the screen you have..

I would say that 60->120 is visually less noticable than 30->60, but the fluidity you get in relation to your input/movement as a player is defintly noticeable and very nice to have.

a 144 Hz monitor should work at at least 120 Hz, period, if you want to use it with 3D that's the only solution. The AMD 3D system is not as good as the nVidia one though, but it should still work at 120 Hz.

to solve the problem, I propose you make up a diagnostics plan, so you can pinpoint why it won't work at high refresh rate, and solve it in a couple of minutes instead of spending hours at it:

- run a linux live distro (no need to install one if you don't use linux, which I don't think you do since you buy a 144 Hz monitor), and calculate the VESA mode for your monitors native resolution and a refresh rate of 120 Hz (you can even try 144 Hz, that doesn't matter, main target is 120 Hz for 3D right?). Then switch to that VESA mode, and see if it works. If it works, your monitor accepts it, and there is no hardware problem with either graphics card or monitor, and you're using the right cable. If it doesn't work, either you're not using a DVI-D-DL cable, or your monitor is not switching to high refresh mode or is not communicating that mode to the card, or you have a hardware problem (which is still very unlikely if it works at normal refresh rates, which it does).

- if you have no hardware problem, and in linux you could set the VESA mode for high refresh rate at full resolution, then your video driver is not recognising the high refresh rate mode, and you have to add it manually.

- if linux couldn't set the VESA mode to high refresh rate at full resolution, most probably you just need another cable, and you're not using a DVI-D-DL cable. Less probable is that your monitor has to be set to enable high refresh rate mode, for that check the menu of the monitor.

None of that is necessary, lol. The OP already stated that he didn't know that a dual link cable is the only way to get that refresh rate. VGA and HDMI cannot produce 144Hz at any respectable resolution.