Why are high resolution phone screens being pushed so hard?

The Turbo has a 3900mAh battery with a QHD screen.

The T2 Ultra has a 3000mAh battery with a 720P screen.

Now imagine if that 3900mAh battery was paired with a viable screen resolution.

Now let's look at a QHD phone with a 3000mAh battery.

See what I am talking about now?

there are apps that can lower your screens DPI.but still the whole smartphone market is really stupid if you ask me. why bother with ultra high def screens if your going to get fingerprints all over it.

also would it kill them to make a flip or slide phone with reasonable specs. the best one available now is the Motorola photonQ which is a re-brand of the droid4. hardly the latest and greatest and no replaceable battery like the droid3. plus I doubt it or any other flip/slide phone is getting lolipop even unofficially.

Unless you flash a ROM that allows you to change the rendering resolution, your GPU and screen will still be running at that resolution regardless of your DPI setting.

I think smartphones have amazing potential, but they are getting caught up in useless spec wars instead of providing proper innovation and progressing.

I am currently using a ZTE Quartz and it has a 5.5" screen at 960x540 pixels. Same as a ps vita, though bigger. it also has a 1.2ghz dual core, adreno 305 gpu, and 1GB of ram. First thoughts would be that its too low of a resolution for 5.5", but really its just fine. Things are clear, and only when your looking at really small text does the low resolution become readily noticeable. Performance wise, its pretty stable, 3d apps run just fine, with only Google earth stuttering sometimes.

You have to look ,research and quit listening to fanboys about performance of phones .I have my eye on a company called doogee they send out a phone with 441 ppi 8 core gorilla glass 3 2gb ram and is 230 dollars(just an exemple) the problem is that they are small and they don't invest so much in marketing as the "giants", performance on android depends on the way you use it also , don't use programs like cleanmaster etc ,android is a learning software it learns how you use it,and those programs only make that he as to learn all over again(it's going to spend more battery and be laggy at first ,and depending on the phone obviously ) use something like dsbattery saver or greenify and i guarantee you are going to see a difference in battery usage , please do your research ,and amoled really ,please guys i don't want a phone that has invested half of the hardware budget on the screen thank you , look into mediatek snapdragon devices and other alternatives not for brands but hardware , do the same as you do to a pc,look for specs and REAL benchmarks on youtube and other sites because opinions are like asses everybody has one , the truth can't be shown it has to be seen. 

Apparently you've never had a high end phone, and are clearly just bashing at this point.

If I get a high end phone, I expect absolutely zero slow downs during moderate usage.

I get no slowdowns during extreme usage.

I am not complaining about them putting a massive battery in there, I am complaining that it was supposed to be a phone that will actually allow you to not have to enable any power saving options and now worry about charging it. Then they put a massive screen that it just cannot power.

It powers the screen just fine, obviously, if I get over a day usage out of it. This argument is just wrong. No power saving options are enabled.

So you can tell the difference? In what, your 1080P videos? Your low quality phone camera pictures? Your text on the home screen? That's nice. Is it worth the 921,600 additional pixels that your weak phone GPU has to render? I am setting right here with my eye 1" away from my phone and I can just now distinguish pixels, and I can see that icons at 720P are already being upscaled.

No, I see the difference in my 1440p youtube videos. And the 4k videos that I take. And the Very nice quality photos I take. I cant see the pixels, even if I touch the phones screen to my nose. Yu should probably get your eyes checked. and the "crappy" GPU you mention has not stopped me from playing ANY game that I want from the play store, buttery smooth.

Nothing I have done on this phone has slown it down, at all.

it is absolutely pathetic that it is slower than my 3 year old phone. And the G3 is considered one of the most powerful phones on the market right now.

No, it is not considered one of the most powerful.

You're talking nonsense. If I put a 3000mAh Battery in my old flip phone Razr, it would last weeks. What's your point? It needs a bigger battery, and it has one. that battery lasts for over a day.

And the turbo charger does not damage the battery. It has specialized circuitry to limit the charge rate and keep it acceptable.

You just sound like a kid that cant get a top of the line phone, and just want to bash them because you feel bad. I'm sorry, but thats how it sounds, and your arguments are grasping, at best. And trolling, at worst. You really need to do reearch on what you are talking about, because it is quite clear you don't know.

My roommate just picked up the Turbo and it looks way better than my Nexus Screen.

I'm glad the pixel race is on because it forces chip makers to improve performance and improve battery technology.

It's not just a gimmick, it's just the next step into making mobile the main platform for most users.

Now if they could just apply this computer monitors... 4k computer monitors are way too expensive. 

Are you saying an LS970 is not a high end phone? wut. I mean it is old, but like I said earlier it can compete with most recently released phones. And it absolutely destroyed everything when it was released. Have you seen the specs on it? And personally the only phone I have messed with that is faster than it is the One M8 (A NON QHD BASED PHONE) . And the M8 is the only phone that appears to be worth a shit.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-Optimus-G-Sprint_id7100

The Turbo practically has a laptop battery in it, and you are getting just above average battery life. Yeah if you want the screen that is nice, but they claimed that it would've beat every other phone in battery life... which it doesn't due to the screen. Why not actually deliver on what it was supposed to do instead of pulling a Samsung?

You have a very limited selection of 1440P videos, and 90% of those videos are just to show off screens and doesn't provide any content. Your 4k phone camera videos are not going to be near 4k quality, I hope you know this. That is like saying a cheap 13mp phone camera is better than a Nikon D90.

And yes the G3 when released had the most powerful Snapdragon available to manufacturers (801), which is very similar to the same chip you have in your Turbo. So if the G3 is struggling to that extent, I cannot imagine you slightly higher clocked 805 doing much better.

You continue to talk bad about things you don't know about. The size of the battery needed to be increased for the screen, big whoop. Motorola already has a phone with long life in the motorola droid maxx. 

The selection of 1440p videos is also substantial, at least in the videos that I subscribe to. So that argument is irrelevant. 

Again, you have not used this phone, or any other phone with the same specs. So your claims that it would be slow, or hang, are pointless, and just wrong. 

An opinion is one thing, you dlnt see why we need more resolition. And i het that. We dknt need it. We want it. I can personally tell the difference. If you cant, then dont buy one. The moto x 2nd gen has similar specs with a 1080p screen.

but you are making claims about phones being ruined, crappy battery life, slow, unresponsive devices, and those are wrong. 

Again, my phone does not lag. It does not hang. I don't see pixels, I can read tiny text. My phones battery averages at 30 hours of normal use, three days when I'm working and not usingvit much. 

So please, learn what you are talking about before you make these kinds of unfounded statements. 

Droid max is very weak on the hardware side, that is not a viable alternative. The Moto X would be great if it had a decent battery, but it is subpar. I want a phone that has powerful specs, a good battery, and not a overkill resolution.

Yes I have used the G3 for a good bit because I was wanting to know if I should upgrade to it, if you would actually read what I am typing. I have used a G3 with a moderate amount of apps and that sparked the idea of this thread.

They are ruined, you get nothing from those displays but a terrible battery life (compared to lower res phones) and poor performance. Just because LG, Samsung, and Motorola put these massive batteries in their phones, that doesn't mean they are designed well. They are unbalanced phones and they are just increasing the pixel count to appeal to uneducated consumers.

If you phone has absolutely zero lag (which I know it doesn't), it could still have at least a 10-15% longer battery life by just having a perfectly fine resolution of 1920x1080. Also, if you can't see pixels on your phone screen, then how do you differentiate pixels for fine details? It sounds to me that you may indeed be missing some of the details due to the pixels simply being too small for your eyes to identify what it is seeing and they are being wasted. It's like how if you get a bigger monitor/tv with the same resolution you may actually find some details you were missing out on your old display. It's all about balancing the resolution with the size, and the resolution has went far beyond what it should be.

You have many phones like yours to choose from (G3, Note 3, Turbo, etc), but there is not a single high end phone on the market that has a large battery that doesn't push an unnecessary resolution.

Yes I have used the G3

I said a High end device.

you get nothing from those displays but a terrible battery life (compared to lower res phones) and poor performance

This is false. I dont have poor performance. You keep saying that, but its wrong.  And my battery life isnt terrible. the bigger battery is used to make up for the bigger screen, and the GPU can push it easily.

If you phone has absolutely zero lag (which I know it doesn't)

You know nothing about my phone. Its clear that youve never used a decent phone.

Also, if you can't see pixels on your phone screen, then how do you differentiate pixels for fine details? It sounds to me that you may indeed be missing some of the details due to the pixels simply being too small for your eyes to identify what it is seeing and they are being wasted

This proves to me that you have no idea what youre talking about. Especially in terms of resolution.

I would like a Fairphone

@Siberian_Stars I completely agree with you. You got it spot on.

I have used High-End phones and realized that anything above 720p on 5 inch screen is utterly useless. I have 15" laptop with 720p screen and it's good enough. Full HD and UHD on phones is just marketing bait for silly people.

Yes ^ that's exactly what abysmal battery life looks like.

Admitting that paying big money for nothing but aesthetics would make people feel bad about themselves. That's why they will defend the use of their gimmicky toys.

Seriously, phone having Octa-core or 4K screen or 40 MP camera doesn't make any sense. But having 5000 mAh battery does make sense because phone is meant to be portable communication device not a flipping battle station. A large battery should let us use the phone for 7 days with normal use. That is actually beneficial to us however the other things are not.

If i want to play sick games I use PC or console.
If i want to watch movie on 4K screen I will use a big ass TV.
If i want to take professional photos I will use DSLR camera.

P.S To all moderators. Don't give me the BS for necroing a thread. I'm not doing it on purpose this topic is still relevant today.