Why are high resolution phone screens being pushed so hard?

Newsflash. Something with a greater than 200PPI density is considered a "Retina" display.

1 Like

They are slow. If you actually use your phone like you would use a desktop they slow down drastically.

And having a bigger battery means slower charge times, It does make them significantly larger, and adds a lot to the price.

What are you using your 2560x1440 display for? What is it providing for you?

problem 1: why are you using your phone as a desktop.

problem 2: you assume 565ppi is used for anything else besides making the image and what you look at finer and more appealing.

problem 3: for most people a battery become big enough when its able to last a full day. (droid turbo) and I can't think of a phone that can't charge to 100% while I sleep.

1. Why not? I don't want to have to open an up up to check my news, I want to just have a homescreen with the news already there. Same with everything else. Doing anything else is the hardware limiting the software and slowing down what you are doing with your phone.

2. I'm confused with what you said here. Are you saying that 1280x720 is not enough real estate for any multitasking you may do on your 5" phone? How much pixel real estate do you think you need?

3. Even the Turbo cannot last a full day with heavy use. Sure if you open up your emails once an hour it may, but what about people that want to use it heavily throughout the day? Why is there not a single phone that is designed for that?

Dude there aren't laptops/tablets that go a whole day of heavy usage.

And most home screen widgets run like ass in general

Laptops can get a lot more done than a phone though, you have significantly more powerful hardware.

Tablets idk, I don't bother with them.

And the reason that no phone can game, stream video all day long is that the tech just isn't there. Power vs power consumption just doesn't allow for what you want.

Then why are we pushing screen resolution then?

On top of it being more demanding on your hardware, you are also using the budget on something that is not going to do nothing for your phone outside of having a useless number.

Most desktop low profile passive cooled GPUs struggle at having a 3840x2160 resolution, so how in the hell is a phone GPU going to accomplish that without sacrifice a large amount of performance?

Because separate companies/subsidiaries create gpu/cpus from the ones that make displays. 

Yes. But there are more powerful (and efficient) solutions that phone manufacturers can already utilize that they are choosing not to due to price. The Snapdragon + Adreno combo is extremely weak compared to solutions by Intel and Nvidia (just off the top of my head).

It's like the PS4 and Xbone pushing 1080P when they do not have the hardware behind it to make it feasible.

Phones are not getting more powerful, but what they have to run is getting increasingly difficult.

Doing anything else is the hardware limiting the software and slowing down what you are doing with your phone.

then why did you mention a desktop?

2. Once you reach 'retina' there is not real benefit from higher resolutions besides making things look objectively better on a phone, so unless you use all that realestate a poweruser you're not going to see it unless it's 6 inches from your eye. I don't know about you but when I'm using my phone it's 3times that distance away from my face.

Granted that's not how everyone uses their phone and your mileage will vary. my 720p (342ppi droid-mini) phone is enough for doing what I just described above. however lying in bed lpaying games I can see the pixels if i'm not loo sleepy. Yes, the desire for more pixels is there.

3. while the turbo may not achieve advertised 48hrs in most actual use cases. It is still significantly better than most phones on the market.

Power users and gamer will ALWAYS be able to drain the battery in a single day until we come up with a new technology that is feasible.

I can't speak personally for the battery but what I'm hearing from it is that it's lasting longer than other phones and is a step in the right direction.

And there's also the fact to consider charging on the turbo is as simple as setting it down on a pad on your desk. It's not "charging" in the usual sense, that is to say you don't have to go through the mindset of plugging it in.

A phone is a phone. saying your phone cant do the tasks your desktop can is ignorant.

A bigger battery does not make it bigger, really.. My turbo is just slightly thicker than a pencil. Any thinner and you have chance for another "bendgate"

It also has no real price increase. As this phone is relatively cheap, especially compared to apple devices. And slower charge times? I turbo charger (which comes free with the phone) Can charge my phone and give it 8 hours of talk time in FIFTEEN minutes.

What are you using your 2560x1440 display for? What is it providing for you?

Because I can distinguish the difference, and it looks better.

You don't seem to have all of the facts on this subject. You should do some research about the claims you are making. Especially when talking to people who actually OWN the phones you talk about.

1. Because the hardware is powerful enough to run the software.

2. It's diminishing returns. At that point you might as well increase the quality of the screen, instead of the resolution.

3. Yes it does have a good battery life, but look at the massive battery in it. The phone was advertised to have this amazingly long battery life, so why did they put a ridiculous screen on it that is going to negatively affect it and miss it's advertised 48 hours?

I just don't see a point in having a phone screen with a higher pixel density than standalone displays made specifically to look the best they can.

1. So just because a phone/tablet *can* run software that was designed initially for the desktop (a significant;y more powerful platform) you expect your phone to deliver a pleasant non-slow experience while running that software, most likely using all of the hardware in the phone and still expect god tier battery? there's no winning. <insert previous statement about feasibility future batteries>

2. Obvi. But since the market and general media has a raging hard-on for bigger numbers relating resolution... GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

3. I've personally had really slow days where I only look at my phone once an hour for an email. (the example you listed above) and let me tell you 48hrs on the turbo is an understatement for that use case. My mini will had 70% left at the end of that day...

It's diminishing returns. At that point you might as well increase the quality of the screen, instead of the resolution.

Resolution has a lot to do with quality.

It's a nice, vibrant, bright, AMOLED screen. How would you improve the quality on that?

If I get a high end phone, I expect absolutely zero slow downs during moderate usage.

Open up your Turbo and look at the size that battery is taking. I am not complaining about them putting a massive battery in there, I am complaining that it was supposed to be a phone that will actually allow you to not have to enable any power saving options and now worry about charging it. Then they put a massive screen that it just cannot power.

You know that turbo charger is not healthy for that battery right? If you use it daily you are going to have some issues soon.

So you can tell the difference? In what, your 1080P videos? Your low quality phone camera pictures? Your text on the home screen? That's nice. Is it worth the 921,600 additional pixels that your weak phone GPU has to render? I am setting right here with my eye 1" away from my phone and I can just now distinguish pixels, and I can see that icons at 720P are already being upscaled.

I have been messing with my friend's G3 because it was going to be the phone I was going to upgrade to, and it is absolutely pathetic that it is slower than my 3 year old phone. And the G3 is considered one of the most powerful phones on the market right now. I do not see a point in "upgrading" to a slower phone that takes longer to charge.

I'm not saying that you phone is bad, I am saying that the phone could have been much better if it was more balanced and not trying to keep up with the pixel hype.

No. No, it's not.

"Retina" the term coined by apple is when the human eye can no longer distinguish individual pixels.

EVERY DISPLAY is retina. It just depends on the distance

a 1080p 60" TV with a PPI for 36.72 becomes retina at about 94 inches depending on the person and their eyes.

You know the backlight is the major killer of battery.

That is true.

However that tends to be in the 200-300ppi range in phones with the viewing distance of 10" (which is what Apple uses for Retina classification).

Then they put a massive screen that it just cannot power

The fact the screen works and has better battery life than other phones says different. lmao