Who uses Microsoft Edge on Linux?

I tried Edge on Linux a couple of times. It was not bad, just fairly Meh.

About as lacklustre as Bing is at search.

But does not allow DRM yet, so no advantage.

Having to use it at work on windows is a right pain though, because a bunch of web apps targeting IE don’t work yet, despite MS trying to depreciate it.

Huh, I hadn’t run into the no drm content on Linux with edge. I don’t think this will be a problem for me because I happen to do very little drm content viewing and what little I do view I typically am not on a Linux system anyways. That is definitely a pretty big deal for a lot of people though.

Yeah, I know a lot of data collection comes from third party sites through embedded scripts like Google analytics and ad sense and login with google. Facebook is pretty notorious about this through their likes button and login with Facebook buttons. Then there’s things like search in the url bar of your browser which sends what you’re typing to Google for the sake of auto completion of searches. If you’re using Android there’s things like the address service that sends your location to Google to guess what address you’re at. I’m also reasonably positive Facebook gets shopping information from Walmart because I’ve bought things at Walmart and started getting Facebook ads for it (Walmart auto ties your Walmart.com account to your in store purchasing by looking at the credit card you use).

And if you truly block all of that web traffic LOTS of stuff breaks, so I think that’s where you’re saying that AdBlock extensions don’t really stop that tracking because a lot is through the browser or os level anyways and even where it’s embedded scripts that pull browser info those extensions have to be careful what they block because if they block too much and start breaking websites then people won’t use the extension.

So yeah, if you truly want to block all of their tracking, you can’t use a credit/debit card online (or more probably can’t use them at all) because anything purchased with that will be linked to online profiles. You can’t get your own internet connection because your isp will sell the fact that you have an internet connection at all even if you managed to keep them from seeing every last shred of your internet usage (you probably won’t because they at the very least will see you’re using a VPN which means you’ll at least be tagged with that information). You can’t really connect to the internet with any device you bought because through some source of information or another that device is probably tied to you. You can’t have a bank account because the government tracks that and we’ve seen the government sell information before, speaking of which you can’t have a driver’s license which we know for sure is info that has been sold in the past. You definitely can’t have a cell phone because the cell provider will sell your info. Can’t buy a house or land because that’s going to end up on public record. Can’t let the satellites see any structure you built because Google is gonna auto tag it as a structure and link any public info they can find on it. I’m just going to stop here because going on would probably be pointless.

The point is that everyone draws the line somewhere on privacy and mine is to limit data sent when it’s relatively easy and painless to do so.

I disagree “there’s no other reason”. I can think of two:

1. In general UI designers hate it if you mess with the look they want a product to have, or to simply turn off some new feature they’ve put their work into.
  2. It’s a lot more work to ensure reliability if you allow many configuration changes. And a lot more code, slowing the browser on a constrained platform.

Sorry, I didn’t mean they can’t playback all DRM content, I was referring to the higher resolution video playback (widevine 3?) that is being withheld from Linux users

(Like higher res Netflix, and other platforms)

Yeah, got a little caught up in the heat of the moment. There are other reasons. I don’t necessarily agree with your first reason but it’s still a valid reason. The second reason I do mostly disagree with being valid just because those flags still exist (at least in the case of the browser) and are probably mostly there to make it easier to run unit and integration tests on things so the performance cost is still there. Granted not all code has those flags in the first place for potentially valid reasons.

Edit: I think I missed the point of your reply, I realized you’re not necessarily saying those are good or bad reasons, just that they are things that aren’t greed.

Oh yeah, I think that’s true of all browsers on Linux though, or am I mistaken on that front? I just don’t consume enough drm content to really know the current state of things, not even sure how long it’s been since I subscribed to Netflix lol

I didn’t even know Edge could be used on Linux! I’ll give it a try.

Do you recall which video/forum thread he discusses this in? I’d be curious to see this expanded…

It’s from the latest episode of the news

Well, discusses might be a strong word for it, it was really just mentioned in passing on todays news.

here’s the timestamp:

1 Like

But who knows, maybe @wendell will pop in and give more thoughts on it.

2 Likes

Edge has worked really well for me on Mac and Windows. Haven’t tried it on Linux but I probably will now.

Typically I stuck to Brave, but now it’s blocked at work so I can’t sync anything so I haven’t been using it.

Ya I’m not a Mozilla fan either. They go too far with the virtue signalling, to the point where they even contradict themselves with their own virtue signalling.

That’s kind of wild that they blocked braves sync service at your work but not other browsers

It used to work, but we switched filters a couple months ago and it’s something the company blocks by default, classified as “security” or something like that. Maybe because of the Brave ads system, I dunno.

I could put in a ticket to have my boss un-block it, but I’m not sure if it’ll get done because I’m literally the only person I know who uses it and there’s a lot more pressing issues going on.

Prolly because you can log in to a private crypto wallet.

If this is on a work computer that might be in violation of some workplace ToS.

I really liked Brave when I took it for a spin but they kept trying to shove crypto crap down my throat so I went back to Firefox.

It’s pretty common in the large enterprise world to manage the browsers with an Enterprise network manager. Like with chrome you see a little “this instance is managed by an Enterprise business” button at the top right that looks like an office building. Generally they would disable the browser sign in function in those cases to prevent intellectually property leaks/theft. So it might be that since brave generally wouldn’t be managed by those the filter your company uses just blocks it to be safe. But this is just me making a guess because I still think that’s wild lol

Oh, crypto would make sense. That’s also one of the biggest reasons I stayed away from brave

That too.

There’s a whole lot of what would technically be violations I see like every single day, because I do in-person tech support, but it all gets brushed under the rug. Like unless someone uses a work computer to break the law, we don’t do anything about it. The contract is basically there just in case.

But I can’t put in a ticket to fix a problem that’s potentially against the rules anyways.

We have that, but we also implemented device-level filtering and it’s really screwing stuff up. People are super pissed their stuff is being blocked at home too. It’s been a nightmare to be honest and I’m glad I’m not responsible for fixing it. It does get tiring being the middleman though.

Ah brushing it under the rug. I worked at a place once that you explicitly could not under any circumstances install software through anything other than the company’s app manager. Then to do my job as a developer I was told to download things from other places or else I wouldn’t be able to do my job. I’m convinced the company’s lawyers knew people had to break the company rules to do their jobs and purposefully kept it that way so if anything ever went wrong they could point the finger and blame you. I won’t say where it was, but it was a fortune 500 company.

1 Like

I’m so tired of it … Its so exhausting to even discuss

Its why the best thing for Firefox would be Mozilla’s death