Who uses Microsoft Edge on Linux?

That shows up as well if you apply any registry edits to change settings.

1 Like

Huh, I guess that makes sense, the management stuff must all be done through the registry then, making it easy to manage with your existing windows active directory management stuff. I had never really looked that much into how it was done. This is one of those itā€™s clear Iā€™m a developer and not an IT professional moments lol

1 Like

Google is merely the current high bidderā€¦

Pre-2017 Mozilla had a search deal with Yahoo. Today, theyā€™re switching 1% of users to Bing as an experiment, preparing for a possible future sans big-G.

1 Like

It is mostly thanks to Mozillaā€™s politics that we avoided patented video and audio codecs becoming web standards mandatory for inclusion in every browser.

Yeah, so nice of Microsoft to spread their shady spyware far and wide: Is Microsoft Stealing Peopleā€™s Bookmarks? - Schneier on Security

3 Likes

I have tried to use Edge as a secondary browser on Linux.
And as far as iā€™m concerned it is a fine browser.

1 Like

If ungoogled Chrome didnā€™t exist I would use Edge instead of Chrome on desktop. This is why Edge is the default browser on my Android devices. On Android Edge is slower than Chrome performance wise, but gets the job done.

The main reason for Edge on Linux (or anywhere) is to enable policy enforcement on 365 tenants - you can mandate access from Edge for specific apps which can then enforce policy dictated by 365 (as Edge will honour it, other browsers may not).

Hmm thatā€™s an interesting point, explains the business justification for edge on Linux

1 Like

Same with Edge on phones, MacOS, etc. Thatā€™s the main reason enterprises will roll Edge to your device. Nothing to do with it being an awesome browser, more to do with the ability to enforce document controls.

The vertical tabs feature is nice for when you have quite a load of tabs. You can scroll through them instead of having all your tabs squashed then ā€œdisappearā€ (the tabs are still there but you canā€™t see them). Scrolling on the tab switcher just switches between the tabs both on both proprietary Chrome and Edge with horizontal tabs.

Iā€™ve had major issues with Firefox in the past under Linux but these days it seems to be pretty decent and I havenā€™t found anything major that doesnā€™t work or perform decently.

In saying that there seems to be some cancer growing in modzilla so who knows what the future will bring.

1 Like

Well welcome in the world of the webrowser in 2021.
Do you think that any other browser from any major company to be much better?
All those companies need to make money somehow right?
With a browser you are the product.

All browers are getting worse and worse now days.
And itā€™s just a matter of selecting the one that is the least bad for your needs.

3 Likes

I tried it back when it was initially released, and never bothered removing it from my Fedora 33-34 up until I decided it was time to once again broaden my horizon with other distro.

My main issue was that thereā€™s no point in using it over other Chromium browsers due to lack of legacy sites compatibility. If it was available on Linux, then I would actually use it for work.

Without it, I might as well use literally any other Chromium browsers. For now Iā€™ve settled on Brave, but recently Firefox made some nice updates but Iā€™m still waiting for the next few months until I could believe that itā€™ll be nice in the 6 months I use it before I switch away from it yet again.

1 Like

I thought the whole point of Edge was compatibility for all the old websites that ran exclusively for the older versions of Internet Explorer while still using a modern and updated web browser.