Whisk(e)y

I just tried the Arborialis…
It is sweet, fruity, herbal… Fairly lovely, but it have a little bit of a weird off taste. I guess the malt but it kinda kills a bit of the enjoyment out of it…

Celebrating paying off my TV 7 months early (it’s the little victories, right?). My store had this for $34USD and I must say, it’s actually quite a nice gift set if you’re looking to gift it.

5 Likes

Oh wow, blue label for 37$, and gold and green and a bottle of clack…
That is more than a great value…

750ml BLACK with 50ml samplers of everything higher up than it. It’s literally the same cost as just a 750ml Black on a regular day. It IS a deal from a price standpoint. I can actually try “higher end” scotch at a poor man’s price… for whatever that is worth.

3 Likes

Its a healthy spread, to assess if chasing down higher tiered bottlings, is even worth it

2 Likes

I haven’t touched the samplers yet. It will be 48 hours between each, because taste is key for me, not status.

2 Likes

I know, I have some decent whiskays to try. I dare not try them on a bad day, cause I would not appreciate the flavor enough…
Man, I have a lot of alcohol to drink…
:rofl:

1 Like

Even though I am celebrating, I have definitely had enough. :rofl:

1 Like
  • Four Roses Single Barrel
  • Four Roses Small Batch
0 voters

Ordered the small batch…

1 Like

Some stuff arrived yesterday, but I am unpacking today, cause I have more time…
Like my gin with puppies I mean poppies and some liqueur I grabbed on sale cause the bottle looked nice…
Oh yeah, and the four roses small batch…

Q: Do you drink all of this?
A: No. No I do not. I have quite a lot of bottles I have not opened yet, but I am still piling more and more on top.

PS. I totally forgot. When I opened the box I found this pack and I forgot what it was. I managed to hit some extra promotion, where when you order Four Roses you get glasses…

So I have now two extra whisk(e)y glasses. That makes the total about 27 or something, and I drink alone
:joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

So, I tried the Johnnie Walker samplers and I don’t think that any of the higher tier offerings are worth their asking prices vs actual taste.

Gold Label Reserve - Harsh and has a meh taste overall
Green Label - Less harsh than Gold, but still a meh taste overall
18 Year - Smooth and initial taste is good, but the aftertaste is a little meh
Blue Label - Same as 18 Year, but better aftertaste

I know taste is subjective, but yeah, I still think Dewar’s 12 Year is the best Scotch I’ve ever had and it is SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive.

1 Like

Four roses small batch Vs Four roses regular old cheap bourbon.

The colour is about the same. So you can’t really tell them apart like some scotch.

The smell however… Oh wow.
So the backstory is, four roses have 10 different grain mash bills they use. The small batch uses only 6 of them to achieve certain flavour, while the regular four roses uses all 10.
The small batch is much more subtle, vanilla and honey heavy and sweet smelling, while you can absolutely smell the rye and the wood in the regular one. Honestly I like the heaviness of the regular one nosing wise.

Flavor:
Well, my tongue is useless…
I can’t tell them.apart from the first sip. The Small Batch is much sharper than the nose would suggest. The regular one is… Well, it’s four roses.
The small batch have a bit more stay, as in, the flavours stay on the tongue for a bit longer.
If I have those two to compare, I wouldn’t be able to tell them apart based on the taste alone.

I keep trying them side by side…
Maybe the regular one is a bit sweeter. Honestly I can’t tell them apart. I can taste the corn in both, I can taste the rye in both. I can taste the wood in both.
I am really not feeling it, when it comes to the small batch.
My guess is a Single Barrel would have more of a difference, compared to the regular roses, but the small batch is about the same flavour.

Ok, the small batch definitely holds on for a while. I believe it’s a little bit sweeter than the regular one, although 2 minutes ago I thought the regular one was sweeter.

So no. I can’t tell them.apart flavor wise.

So make of that what you will.
I do not appreciate the four roses small batch.
I am comparing it directly to the regular Roses and they taste the same. I don’t think it’s worth the money for a small batch.

1 Like

Do give them more oxidation time
The SB hopefully should give a bit more character with time

OFC, the Single Barrel is punch-to-Jaw, over the rest of standard offerings
And the additional bill variations, can apply different end game biases [aroma v. taste]
Only real step up from that, would be barrel picks, that are straight-from-barrel proofs

1 Like

Oh the tasting shall continue until I figure out why the SB is double the price of the regular one.
I was honestly surprised. I expected there to be some difference. The nose is different but the taste - I really could not tell them apart.

So I have a question…
Is Green Spot worth it?
It’s a bit above my spending redline, but I’m wondering if it’s worth spending the money?

New gift to myself arrived at home. Too bad I won’t be home until next it to open it :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Am I weird to like flavored whiskey something like apple or maple

2 Likes

Aren’t we all…

Well, my guess is if people didn’t like it they wouldn’t have made it, so I guess no, you aren’t weird because of that.

Also I have not tried flavored whiskey. I bought Jack Daniels Green apple and it turned out it’s a liqueur, not really a whiskey. Some with Jack Daniels Honey. That’s also not a whiskey. But I have heard there are flavoured whiskeys in Murca…

But no, don’t feel bad because there is something you enjoy drinking and the others don’t.

2 Likes

If you like Irish whisky, then I’d say yes. It is an easy drinking experience with good flavors.

I usually get green apple, honeysuckle, shortbread cookie.

1 Like