Whisk(e)y

If you like AE, check out Bib & Tucker bourbon. I think the flavor set matches AE pretty closely, but it just feels a little more polished and cleaner. Definitely more caramel, but overall it just has a more blended flavor.

2 Likes

Ill keep an eye out for it, only one thats in stock atm is the Bib & Tucker 10 Yr Bourbon

1 Like

Thatā€™s the one. Itā€™s killer.

Today Iā€™ll get around to taking a few pictures of my favorites, and breaking down the flavors in them that I enjoy.

2 Likes

This was a gift, am I in for a treat?

5 Likes

I have had the base 12 which I believe is in American ex bourbon only and it is solid. This is both sherry and bourbon so a little more fruit on the finish would be my guess.

Try it and report back.

2 Likes

New additions

4 Likes

Ardbeg is so solid.

What do you think of the Hayama?

2 Likes

I got this cask strength Journyman last feather rye whiskey. At first I drank it neat and didnā€™t think I liked it, it tasted sweet like a bourbon. Then I tried with ice, and it tasted very spicy. Then I tried it with a drop of water, and it tasted almost like a scotch with a little bit of rye. Never had a whiskey change so much depending on drinking it neat, on the rocks, or with a little water.

3 Likes

Iā€™m curious too. Havenā€™t found it locally so I could give it a bash.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t tasted it yet, smelled good Iā€™ll report back tonight

https://shingroupcorp.com/products/whisky/hayama-malt-whisky/. Is pretty accurate, feels very clean with a but of wood spice but very well balanced. Would buy again for sure.

3 Likes

Not a huge fan of the finish on Ardbeg tastes a bit to charcoal flavor to me rest is ok but deff not my thing but had to try a Islay at some point

1 Like

I like the smoke and ash. Bruichladdich makes an unpeated Islay Scotch if you are ever interested in that region

2 Likes

Keep trying it every few months. The taste grows on you. Ardbeg 10 isnā€™t the easiest of intros to Islays.

1 Like

I might have to bust out my liquid bacon with all this Ardbeg talk.

1 Like

Other recommendation?

1 Like

Laproiag QuarterCask is a nice entry into Islays.

I enjoy the original medicinal water too (Lagavulin).

It takes time to get used to the more robust flavors.

If youā€™d like all the flavors but the peat, try a Classic Laddie.

1 Like

Wife picked me up this:

5 Likes

Nose: Brown Sugar, Apples, Vanilla

Mouth: Definitely Oak but doesnā€™t dry out the mouth, Peaches, Toasted honey. Finishes with a nice clove and spice nibble that isnā€™t quite a bite.

Not challenging but not single note. The oak is very balanced. Punches way above itā€™s price point.

I like it more than the Ironroot but just by a little. But it is 30% cheaper so I like it a lot. This may become my go to bourbon. Debating if this knocked out Elijah Craig.

1 Like

That is my go to. I have few bottles of Eagles Rare.

3 Likes

Now that I have let is sit a little. It gets a little sweeter but not excessively so.

1 Like