Which Quadro for Plex transcoding

So I’m in the middle of testing everything for the new TrueNAS Scale and this OS will allow PCIE GPU transcoding in docker. I’m looking at getting either a P2200 or P4000 for this machine. I do have a bunch of people who stream off my existing TrueNAS Core machine. everything is 1080p on the machine so down coding is what uses a lot of the cpu.

Is it worth paying the little more for a P4000 on ebay so I never have to worry about the amount of streams and really my only limit will be my upload speed?

Find one that suits your needs and has drivers that work with the OS you’re trying to use. Then ebay and purchase what you can afford.

I got a k420 for $30 and 2x P620’s for $140 each. Also, if you have a newer intel CPU you might look at quicksync as that will do a pretty good job as well.

Check out nVidia Hardware Transcoding Calculator for Plex Estimates

Based on the amount of simultaneous transcodes you can figure out which card is best suited for your use case and then source it through ebay or the likes.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.