Which less popular or unknown shows do you think is still worth watching nowadays (see my suggestions below)?

Honestly both. The NZ version is the film the series is based on. It’s good despite being made in the US, don’t let that dissuade you.

My addition would probably be Harlots. It’s a Hulu exclusive. Great sound design and I was on the edge of my seat almost every episode xD So much drama. The only actor I recognized is Alfie Allen in season 3 because he was in game of thrones.

There is only one UFO series with purple haired Moon Base commanders and submarine crews in fish net vests. :smiley:

Available on YouTube (All episodes)

In addition to the above, Gerry Anderson also produced:
Thunderbirds
Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons
Joe 90
Space 1999

1 Like

Now thats something completely different!

What matters is good storytelling and entretainment value, US production or not. Take, for example, one of the most bizarre horror/slasher movie I had the pleasure of adding to its so bad and weird that its good: Rubber, this is a good summary without spoilers: “The film is about a tire that comes to life and kills people with psychokinetic powers”

Wondering if that was the pitch they made to the studios. 70s/80s sci-fi were really out there! :smiley:

Not sure how known they are:

Better off Ted
Danger 5
Letterkenny (still running)

Thanks everyone for providing suggestions for all over the world! Great stuff

Father Ted
Spaced
Ultraviolet (1998) with a young Idris Elba.

Ohh, the vampire show?

I have fond, but vague memories of that…

Millennium - A spin-off / sister show to The X FIles. It’s about a former FBI profiler, sort of in the same vein as Fox Mulder, who uses his uncanny insight into the minds of seriel killers to solve murders. It’s also got supernatural elements and an over-arcing story about the impending Millennium. It, like far too many fantastic shows of the era, isn’t available on Blu-ray, and it’s DVD copies are getting rarer an more expensive.

Taken (the TV series… and no, not that one) - Taken was a 10 part mini series from 2002. It was executive produced by Steven Spielberg, and had a great storyline and brilliant cast. I should warn you though that the first episode is probably the worst, mainly because the story is only just getting going, so it’s difficult to be engaged, but also because special effects look like an FMV from a World War II RTS from the mid 2000’s… It makes the show look cheap and much less ambitious than it actually turned out the be. The other 9 episodes are much better in writing and presentation (episode 1 really is an anomaly). My personal highlight is the Colonel Owen Crawford character. Again, no Blu-ray release and increasingly rarer DVDs.

The Shield - This one might be a bit of a stretch but it always surprises me how many people have seen shows like The Wire, yet haven’t seen this. It’s fantastic. Personally, I think that there’s only one bad episode in the entire 8 season run… and the Vic Mackey character is simply brilliant. From episode 1 to the season 8 finally (which is superb by the way), Vic always feels natural and organic. Always the same character, from which the story derives, rather than what ever character was needed to serve the story The same is true of the rest of the cast too.

Speaking of The Wire…

Homicide: Life on the Street - Based on the book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets, written by David Simon, the creator of The Wire. Homicide was a great cop show than ran from 1993 to 1999. It was set in the same universe as the Law and Order franchise but if your not a fan of the franchise, then don’t let that put you off as Homicide is it’s own beast, with a different feel and format. Incidentally, it was where the John Munch character first appeared (before appearing in Law and Order: SVU, The X Files, The Wire, Sesame Street etc.). The show tackled some really interesting subjects, from the racism and poverty in the pre-Wire Baltimore, to domestic violence, alcoholism, masculinity, and sexual identity. One word of caution though. The network, in their infinite wisdom, showed several episodes out of order, mainly in season 1. Some of which had major plot spoilers including… one character being shown as still on the job one week, despite being shot in the head the previous week, and another characters death being revealed in passing, before the episode where the death actually occurred. The production numbers are listed on Wikipedia though if you want to watch them in the proper order. You know the deal… no Blu-ray, rare DVDs etc. (sound of sea shanty intensifies)

Oz – another late 90’s HBO show that doesn’t get talked about as much now. Even by today’s standard, Oz is a pretty unflinching look at an all male prison. Storylines range from drug dealing in the prison, corruption from the cons and the C.O.s alike, all manner of violence and murder, sexual assault, spirituality, relationships between everyone and anyone, including the male prisoners… to name just a few subjects. The cast is great, the writing is too… although on occasion, it does feel a little bit soap opera-ish but I found it easy enough to overlook and to just enjoy the otherwise wonderful show.

Immortalized by Family Guy (NSFW):

Titus was a great show! I bought it on DVD. Chris says he based the show mostly around his pre-comedy life. Stacey Keach played his Dad, and Chris said that his Dad was thrilled to be played by Stacey Keach. The woman who played his girlfriend was smoking hot then. I was stunned when she showed up on Lost looking like the intervening years had been hard on her. This was backed up when both she and the lesbian hispanic chick that was also in Lost and a ton of movies were fired for each driving drunk in Hawaii.

Yep I loved Space 1999 as a kid. Too bad Fred Freiberger fucked up the second season just like he fucked up the third season of Star Trek.
We already had a good remake of Battlestar Galactica; I would love to see Space 1999 get remade as Space 2099. But they would absolutely need to come up with a better premise than the one they used in 1999.

I will second Better Off Ted! It was such a great parody of corporate America. I think very few people would regret watching it…

Spaced is great because it has Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost, but you really have to be well versed in all the classic movies as well as nerd and geek culture to get all the jokes.