Which Java Cert to aim? 1Z0-808 or 1Z0-819?

Hello, people.

I’ve bumped into some Java certs and would like to discuss with you guys, the insiders, which one would be better to get.

Context and background:

I work in a field different from IT, want to move in and am now finishing (mid-2021) a college program in IT, which is based on java (and a little bit on C).

Java is fairly strong in Brazil and it’s not the main question here, it’s not like “oh it’s the best platform”, it’s just the more popular here, that’s why I’m gravitating towards it. There’s also PHP here, but pays fairly bad, so it’s out of the question too.

Now to the main stuff:

Take a glance at Java SE Roadmap:

https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/java-se-support-roadmap.html

Here’s a pic if you don’t want to click

Basically java se 8 will be supported until 2030, and that’s a lot of time, that means there’ll be quite some code bases on it, and SE 11 will go until 2026, and that’s got me thinking:

Should I aim at Java 8 with 1Z0-808 or jump into 11 with 1Z0-819?

opinions?

More newer → more better.
It’s still puzzling why are you deciding which course to take just based on the Java version.
Yes, JDK 8 is for some reason still running in enterprises because they don’t want to spend time on updating.
JDK 11 has newer language features, you’d want that. If you had to program targetting 8, you’ll find your ways around, nothing major.

The biggest hurdle to leave behind 8 is the Unsafe API, people have been warned and they ignored.

1 Like

even being older it’ll still be 4 years more supported ( 8 -> 2030 vs 11 -> 2026)

it’s not really about “me”, but the market itself

I’m trying to figure out if I’d need to cater to legacy ass software actually instead of aiming to port shit forward

I’d probably go for 11 over 8 but in reality an employer (well my employer for sure) would be more interested in what libraries you’d used it with and what you’d done with it far more than which version you’d used (J2EE, SpringBoot, microservices, etc).

(Java Dev for last 12 years and only recently moved to 11 and having fun with stuff that’s been in there since 8 but we never thought to use)

2 Likes