When turning off main hdr monitor, computer acts like its fully disconnected only does it with new drivers

I have a 3080 ti (ASUS ROG Strix NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti OC Edition), i also have 3 monitors and 1 tv (the tv shows the same thing as one of the monitors). The main monitor i am having this issue with is a hdr 1440p, what i use as my main gaming monitor (ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K HDR Gaming Monitor (VG27AQ) - WQHD (2560 x 1440), 165Hz (Supports 144Hz)). I have older drivers installed currently for my gpu and have been using them for about a year. What happens specifically is the 2 other monitors are connected via display port and the tuf gaming is connected via hdmi, i have hdr turned on (i know its hdrn’t) and 144hz is on and 1440p is on. With the old drivers if i turn the tuf gaming monitor off (not the computer or any of the other monitors). It turns off and then all the other screens flicker black for a few seconds before they work again. Which is fine, but when i do this, the computer still is displaying out to that monitor so i can still move my mouse to over there or move windows across that monitor, just like how it behaves when i turn off any other monitor, computer still displays to it but the screen itself is off which is what i want. The issue is if i update my gpu drivers and turn off the tuff monitor, it then acts like its been disconnected fully, setting another monitor as the primary, moving my icons and instantly moving all windows around. To the best of my understanding, it has to do with something like newer monitors are constantly sending singal to the computer and when it stops getting that signal the computer things its been disconnected and that this in intended. (i found a couple posts on super user which nothing there seemed to help, even covering pin 19 on the hdmi cable) which are fairly old. I was able to turn off DDC/CI on my monitors osd, i did have to turn off gsync which im okay with but that still does not fix this. Im completely more than happy to get like a docking station sort of video splitter or something to fix this issue because at this point the drivers are nearly 2 years old and more and more games are just flat out refusing to launch with my drivers. If no one can come up with anything, id also love suggestions for older monitors this doesnt happen with that are 1440p, cause at this point im more willing to sell this monitor and get an older one

Typically if hot plug detect doesn’t disconnect, the monitor isn’t disconnected. New drivers might look for more than that (or maybe the new drivers stop sending the power out that’s used for that, because after the display is setup, it ‘shouldn’t be needed’). And how all that is connected, or powered in standby, varies to an extent. You could configure you displays while main is on and off in a way that works out; or if that isn’t acceptable for some reason, you could maybe find that right EDID passthrough.

configuring the monitors with out the main monitor doesnt really work for me, because a really stupid way i have everything set up and the way i use it. but speaking about the edid pass through, that the only way that would get around it? cause those are only 60hz, couldnt find any that are 144hz. because at that point id rather sell the monitor and find an older one that doesnt do this

wait would an elgato recorder work too? since the signal is not being sent straight to the monitor? or you think that would pass it all through

“custom” resolution

like find an adapter that does custom resoultion? I do apologize but i do not know what you mean just by custom resoultion. Unless you mean like how the edids work, from the best of my understanding they are like a little adapter that lets you set custom resoultion, you mean anything that does that?

Any adaptor, the NV control panel to set up custom res that’s actually just monitor’s supported specs.

okay i see why you suggested the edid, im having a hard time finding a resloution that is not already on the list for nv control panel as well as will actually work on the monitor. i ordered a edid and hopefully will be here tomorrow so ill see what happens with that, if it works pefectly but is just stuck to 60hz i guess thats fine with me

Custom resolution will solve that part.