When an ebay seller says 'put in the notes'

Trying to buy a 10m HF radio and the model i want (AT-6666) has an optional CTCSS tone feature but none of the listings has an option drop down.

Upon messaging the vendors (more than one) inquiring how to get the CTCSS version they come back with 'add a note for ctcss and we add the chip before shipping '. Whats more off putting is that ctcss daughter board is unobtainium so where are they getting it from?

Not getting a warm fuzzy here. What are your experiences with ‘add a note’ ebay sellers?

Very tempted to pay a bit more retail+ shipping to get the ss-9900 version 4 (same chassis, pretty much the same radio) that has it built in from Europe

Look at their rep, if its good I wouldnt worry can also just look at return poilciy.

2 Likes

I figured, but still just lacking that warm fuzzy.

Upon further review, the CRT SS 9900 V4 has two things over the AT-6666 variant:

Additional K and L bands going into some weird 12 meter’ish freqs I’ll never use… but you never know- would be interesting just to listen in.

For sure has the OEM CTCSS daughterboard (its even in the open case pics).

Price delta:

Ebay AT-6666 is $260 shipped from China

CRT SS 9900 is $282.00 after weird Dutch taxes and US shipping.

I opted for the extra $20 to get the assurance of the daughter board (there are 10m repeaters in my area) and two extra bands for giggles.

2 Likes