Whats the oldest* version of windows my laptop can use, without issue?

I have a laptop the specs are (Aspire E14 Intel Pentium Quad Core Processor N3710, Nividia Geforce 920 M 2GB VRAM, 4GB DDR3 L Memory, 500 GB hard drive)

I want to purchase the oldest version of windows I can for this lap top. Im hoping windows 95 98 2000 or XP will work on this fairly outdated laptop. But will they work without compatibility issues?

Whats the oldest version of windows this lap top can use?

I think you would need a 64bit version of Windows XP, and that’s about as good as you’d get? I think even then there’s a very high chance you’ll have driver issues for everything, especially display?

Sooo…7?

Is there a particular reason you are trying to go back?

2 Likes

You should install Linux or something since nothing older than Windows 10 can be considered remotely secure (and 10 will stop receiving updates within the next year I believe). You will have problems visiting any “https” website with sufficiently old versions of Windows because the operating system does not support the necessary cryptographic standards. This is very insecure and you should not do it!!

It is better to install something like Lubuntu which will perform better on your hardware while also keeping your personal information secure. If you need, you might be able to run some Windows software with “wine”.

Lubuntu has a desktop environment very similar to XP or Vista in my opinion. It’s not as scary as you might think.

2 Likes

Yea I just want a lap top thats off line for older games . I dont want to bother with dos box. It wont be online either so I dont have to worry about viruses or updates etc

Thanks friend!

1 Like

Yea I just want a lap top thats off line for older games . I dont want to bother with dos box. It wont be online either so I dont have to worry about viruses or updates etc

I think Linus is troublesome for games and older games also?

Thanks friend also!

1 Like

One limiting factor is your Maxwell graphics chipset; its drivers only go back to Windows 7 (not Vista, or XP). If you had a one-generation-older Kepler generation graphics chipset, drivers would be available for XP.

You can get the latest Windows 7 driver for your 920M here.

1 Like

Ok it seems im out of luck then, thats too bad , thanks friend, thanks friends its greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

Theres so much to be gained from Dox box I guess its worth learning, like 100 epic games instantly on your modern PC

Also remastered games.

Ok you can close this thread now , I don need any more info, thanks friends!

1 Like