What's the earliest Mac Mini that supports 4k@60Hz and HDR over HDMI (for an HTPC)?

My current home theatre PC is a Pi4 running LibreELEC. The latest builds of it can support HDR10 and 4k (although at a low refresh rate). LibreELEC/Kodi is alright. I can sync my content using emby server (which I run off my Linux NAS in a Docker container), but I really just prefer having a PC hooked up to my TV without the Kodi/UI. Just give me a plain file explorer.

I want to use a Linux box, but HDR support on x86_64 Linux seems non-existent for amdgpu, Intel or nvidia/noveanu graphics! There is kernel support for amdgpu, but neither Linux mpv nor VLC support it yet (VLC supports HDR10, but only in Windows/Mac it tseems). My video programming background is non-existent, so I’m not sure if I want to try to pick up either of those and working of them.

I was thinking of just using an older Mac Mini. I have one from 2012, but it obviously can’t do 4k on HDMI (and it can only do 30Hz on DisplayPort and doesn’t do HDR). Shelling out $500~$600 for a used M1 seems like a lot. If I wanted to go for a used Mini, what’s the best option for being about to 4k@60Hz+HDR10 onto an LG OLED TV screen?

I believe the earliest model with support beyond 2560x1600 is the 2018. Unless there’s some hack around getting 4K working on Iris 5100, you need UHD to drive 4K/60. Sadly you won’t find many options from that range that are selling for cheap yet, as it’s technically only the previous generation before the M1 transition.

Yea, I’m starting to think a more appropriate solution would be Minisforum nuc-style device. The UM270 is currently under $400, has Vega graphics and can do 4k/HDR over HDMI. ~$200 cheaper than a used current gen Mac and does what I need it to do.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.