What's the best way to fix this speaker?

It fell and I’m not sure what the best way to fix this dent without damaging it would be.

I’m assuming this hasn’t made the speaker non-functional (It doesn’t look like it), in this case I’d try and pull it out with some kind of strong adhesive, preferably something that won’t leave too much of a gash where it gets pulled off. a small tab with a flat base and some superglue to pull the dent back out would be my last resort, though, and then carefully peel/cut the tab off with a box cutter or otherwise.

Take it apart bend it back clue it back together? Or just use a vacuum cleaner to pull it back perhaps? either ways a somewhat visible fold will likely remain. Or what @KemoKa73 mentioned, I guess.

2 Likes

Yeah it still works, and there’s nothing obviously wrong with the sound, as far as I know the dust cap doesn’t affect the sound at all, it just looks crappy.

I tried with some tape and was thinking of using glue next. It’s made of a hard paper/card material and I’m a little worried that if I put too much force on it I’ll rip it off. I could probably bend a needle 90 degrees, work it through and use it to pull it out that way.

I don’t want to do anything that might break it considering that it still works fine and I don’t really know what I’m doing.

vaccum cleaner … be gentle

or

you can also do mouth to to cone to resuscitate it . just inhale instead of exhale.

The vacuum doesn’t work, it’s much too stiff

Normally a vacuum cleaner allways worked for me.
But if it doesnt work and you want to to be fixed.
You could replace that protection cap (cover), its glued.
It basiclly is just a protection cover for the spool and magnet underneath it.
However its not the easiest job.

There are a couple of video´s on YT about how to re-cone a woofer.

2 Likes

Perhaps punching a small hole in the cap (probably around the edge) and using something thin to pop it back out would work?

It’s too stiff for the vacuum. I’m thinking the best way will be to pry it out with a needle or something like that, or replace it completely but I don’t really want to do that considering it still sounds okay.

Probably not the vacuum that is too weak(unless its realllly old i.e. ~10 years or the filters need to be changed really bad) might just be that because of the bend air gets through, maybe find some wider rubber O-ring or something to use as a seal in the middle.

The speaker is much larger than my vacuum, I’d have to find some kind of cone if I wanted to cover the whole dust cap.

would a plastic drinking cup be large enough? cut a hole in the bottom and use that in the middle.

I have done this once with the JBL subwoofer in our car.
i did it with a vacuum cleaner started in the middle and worked slowly to the edge, it worked for me.

Yeah something like that might work, but I don’t think I have anything I could use for it here. I’ll see what I can find.

I saw a video of someone sealing the speaker with a plastic bag and sucking through a straw to pop it out, not sure if that will work with this one or not.

Maybe I’m just doing it wrong but it’s not having any kind of effect. It’s made of thick card and the vacuum can’t really get a seal on it

could also try the clue-stick method:

1 Like

Yeah it depends a bit on the specific materials the cover is made off.

There could also be a vent hole in the back of the speaker magnet. that would probably rule out the plastic bag method.

I don’t think that will work with mine, I think the only way will be to push on it from behind because trying to stick something to the front will just pull off the top layer of the paper.

I find that sometimes you can sort of massage them back into place. It only sometimes works. if youre gentle enough and apply pressure to the right spots you can definitely unbend it.