Whats the best SNES emulator

I want to play some old games and whats the best SNES emulator. Is there an emulator software that have most consoles in one?

1 Like

Use this,
http://www.freeemulator.com/
But I would go to the original site for the download, once you find one

zsnes

Higan/bsnes is the only cycle accurate snes emulator and also supports msu1.

Please don't waste your time with woefully outdated emulators like zsnes.

2 Likes

is that on Linux ?

Also zsnes has never failed when i tried it ( admittedly ages ago, so your point probably stands ) it also has a minimal footprint.

Yes. But pkunzip also had a small footprint. I implore people to use up to date software, especially since we have emulators now that are cycle accurate and PC's that can run these older systems with absolutely no effort.

There's definitely a bsnes core for libretro on linux. I don't even bother running emulators outside of libretro anymore since the best ones are supported.

forgot about libretro actually.

There are few snes emulators, SNES9x, RetroArch, Higan, but most of the time I used the Retroarch emulator.

Retroarch is NOT an emulator, it is an aggregate of emulators. SNES9x and Hugan are both present in retroarch, the user still has to choose which one to use.

I've used zsnes; it's pretty good. Not sure about Linux availability though.

I have got more SNES emulators like RetroArch, SNES9x, ZSNES etc. In my experience RetoArch is one of the best sens emulator. Otherwise you can use Snes9x EX+, John SNES etc.

Almost a year worth of necro, but this is one of those ongoing topics so thats cool.

This is an interesting read.

I used to use ZSNES way back in the day on an old Pentium 133 MHZ I think it was. I tried it in Linux Mint, but it would lock up after a while. I bought FF6 (FF3 US) full price the day it came out and still go back to it and a few others once in a while. SNES9X was a bit buggy years ago, but it works the best for me now. Somewhere I found a 'snes9x-gtk_1.52-1_amd64.deb' file and that works great for me in Linux.

Necro be damned, retro is always relevant :stuck_out_tongue:

Another fan of zsnes here, snes9x was also really good