Whats a nice temp! and how loud should my pc be?

My cpu fan runs at around 1400rpm turbo mode for the cpu, it is the only fan I have running at a higher speed all the others on the case are tuned to silent mode and run around 900 to 1100rpm.

on these settings it can handle very reasonable temps if the cpu operates anywhere between 4ghz to 4.3ghz, I am getting on average no more than 35C on the cpu temp with the motherboard often below 20C 'although it is winter here right now so that might get a little higher when air temps actually warm up for summer'.

At any time even during load in games, I think the noise level hovers around 20 decibels and the cooling to noise ratio is manageable certainly not terrible at all. I am running 3x case fans, 2x 92mm and 1x 120mm, with 2x intake, 1x exhaust and lastly the cpu fan which on the hyper 103 is also a 92mm fan i think.

Aside from this the Asus strix gpu has 2 fans also but they barely spin even when I am gaming so obviously at this stage my pc has not pushed the thermal threshold for those to kick into gear.

Let me know what your cooling setup is, what type of temps do you get and how is the noise.. please note this is mostly for air cooling but if your a water cooler type of person then its ok to post here too I am just interested to see how my cooling to noise ratio measures up against other rigs.

You are talking 35C idle right? I hope. Bc thats where Im at and my PC runs full tilt no sound at like 65C max. GPU sits around 75C. I need a better fan for the PSU tho its killing me that its the only thing you can hear.
Btw nexus real silent fans. the best

I don't see any downside in running chips at it's max temp. As long as you're staying in specc while reaching the performance you want, there is no real drawback. Modern chips rarely die before they go obsolete...

The biggest problems these days seem to be the VRMs and Capacitors. But if the manufacturer takes care of those, you don't really have to worry.

Oh, btw... My temps (all max peak):
85C Cpu,
84C Gpu
At maximum artificial workload (cpu + gpu)

65C Cpu,
82C Gpu
While gaming.

some times its not about how hot your chip gets. its about how hot your chip makes the room o.0

if My room is 70 Fahrenheit with a 25C chip, then i start gaming at 45C my room shoots to 87 Fahrenheit with in 30 minutes... and its not comfortable (im sure my room could get to 100F if i had an 8 hour game sesh in august) (even with the house AC on)

luckily I live in Michigan and my room stays at 58F for 8 months of the year and then i dont notice the 80 degrees room kuz that shit feels good in the winter =)

actually tho. Back to all stock settings for everything in the summer. too damn hot.

some times its not about how hot your chip gets. its about how hot your chip makes the room o.0

if My room is 70 Fahrenheit with a 25C chip, then i start gaming at
45C my room shoots to 87 Fahrenheit with in 30 minutes... and its not
comfortable (im sure my room could get to 100F if i had an 8 hour game
sesh in august) (even with the house AC on)

luckily I live in Michigan and my room stays at 58F for 8 months of
the year and then i dont notice the 80 degrees room kuz that shit feels
good in the winter =)

Yeah, room temperature is important, too. But make no mistake: The heat output of your pc has nothing to do with the chip-temperatures, you measure.
Almost all energy, that's going into a computer is transformed to heat. So if your pc is pulling 400W from the wall, around 395W are exhausted as heat. 5W are light and/or radiation xD
So, however efficient your cooling is, your room is still going to heat up. The only way to achieve a lower room temps is to lower the power used by your pc.

Modern GPUs and Platinum PSU's, guys :)

good to know mate but i can indeed feel a temp change (with my hand) on the back exhaust when the cpu temp goes up. so i must pull significantly more wattage than idle HD6870 fx8120 4ghz & 900w bronze woot woot

No not idle that is 35C with a few apps running so around 50% cpu usage or something, in other words if I am playing a game it might be a bit higher... This might be incorrect though I am just using i-nex to monitor its temps but that seems to fluctuate a lot so I cant get a good reading on it, when I look at it in bios settings though I get an accurate read but again in bios there is barely any cpu load so I guess idle temps are low but I do not know how they would rise if I would push each core to 100% maybe something I bench in a windows setup at some point, running linux right now til i can get another ssd for a win 10 install..

With great power comes great heat xD
Pretty awesome system... I hope you've named your pc "the nuclear reactor"

lol actually i haven't named it but thanks to you it will now from this day forth be called "the nuclear reactor"

i strive for:

with-no-load:
Noise: Inaudible
30'C CPUs 2x e5-2670
60'C GPU 780ti
34'C GPU FuryX
35'C Mem
40'C Mobo

full-load-24h
Noise: noticeable, not crazy (780ti is the loudest, without it - its inaudible)
50'C CPUs 2x e5-2670
82'C GPU 780ti
48'C GPU FuryX
50'C Mem
55'C Mobo

My fan curves
5% 25'C
10% 35'C
25% 40'C
30% 50'C - most of the time this is where my fan profiles are
45% 55'C - most of the time this is where my fan profiles are
60% 65'C - most of the time this is where my fan profiles are
70% 70'C
80% 80'C
90% 85'C
100% 90'C

To dampen the noise i use noise canceling foam on sides of my case.
Use of rubber caps on fan screws helps a lot also.

I push cold air from bottom (weaker 800RPM fans) and back (2400RPM) of my case to front.
back, bottom and front grills have attached 4 AAA batteries to make them static, and ensure they collect all dust.

I strongly urge you to try making your pc as quiet as possible. There was time where i didn't mind the noise, as i had kept it in another room; but once you sleep in same room - the less noise the better.

1 Like