What would you use for a git network share for Linux kernel development?

Hello everyone,

I do work on Linux kernels with several different computers and different installs of Linux. Having a remote way to access the git repos and the time I have to git fetch and pull would be really helpful. I have 18 different copies of the linux kernel spread among 3 different computers with at least 6 different installs since I work with a large patchset that is trying to get upstream.

I wanted to know what others use in this scenario. Been looking at NFS but there are fundamental issues with that from what I read. I want to avoid keeping an ssh key on an unencrypted partition. (Yes, the Linux kernel uses email, but I like to keep a remote backup + I need to do local builds + my company uses gitlab and their runners.)

For read only access, you can use the daemon provided by git to fetch/pull on your local network. I use this to keep a local mirror of repos I use on my nas.

Why not host your local instance of GitLab? You’re already familiar with the tool and may benefit from learning the sysadmin side of it.

Deployment via docker is a single line, make sure to map some local storage to persist the data.

I usually just use SSH for this.

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-on-the-Server-Setting-Up-the-Server

It takes a while to update. I want a single place to access my local copies whenever I need to pull or work on things.