What to do with this extremely old android thing

I bought this in 2010 before going to Afghanistan because nothing else held 500gb of data. It was great because I used it for weeks at a time watching movies or listening to music. I dug it out of a drawer where it has sat because…well it sucks and hasn’t been supported since like 2011 or 2012.

Has an single core Arm A8 at 800mhz. 250MB of ram. 500gb hdd. That’s right a spinning drive.

old tablets and things make great devices to wall mount and use as smart home control panels via an app or web interface.

also, it has a ton of slow local storage so maybe it would make a good picture frame with auto cycle of photos. you could probably even have it do some video clips and stuff and it could be a nice digital photo frame on your work desk.

5 Likes

I started pulling it apart at lunch. I want to see if I could put an SSD into it. I wish Archos had supported its suite of products. It was supposed to have a dock so you could hook it to your TV. I am also curious if I could replace innards with a Pi or similar device. Might make a good brain for an in car entertainment set up for the kids.

While you’re at it, replace the battery?

I have a similar 7" unit, so your exploits are much appreciated :+1:

2 Likes

Probably. The battery charges just fine but is a bit low on the density side. It was pretty good at the time.

I still have a functional MiniDisc player thanks to deployment in 2003. No way to burn new discs though. I do have a computer running 32 bit XP again so maybe I can find the software.

1 Like

Found these two programs for burning MD’s:

The first one looks like it was updated a few months ago.

I miss my player, used it all the time until it went “missing” at school.

1 Like

I use one tablet with A 4.4.2 as a weather forecast display.
Possibly some simple automation on an older version of the Macrodroid app…

Or use it as a notification lan point for your wife, usually sending udp, and receiving it using

Are there any custom rom to update the system for new programs, and is it possible to purchase and install more memory?

Check XDA for something like LineageOS supports many older tablets.

Memory is likely soldered in and not upgradable in this form factor.