What title to use on my CV?

I have about 5 years of experience in software development as a consultant. I have been mostly focus on working with backend systems and I have a bachelor degree in system development. Now I need to refresh my CV and I am not sure what title I should put there because there are so many that fits me. These I believe are the alternatives:

1. Backend Developer
  2. Backend Engineer
  3. System Developer
  4. System Engineer
  5. Software Developer
  6. Software Engineer

What are the main differences between these? I have been working mostly with designing and implementing API’s, building CI/CD pipelines, automating repetitive tasks and building various systems for moving and processing files between systems, storages etc. Which title seems most fitting? Most professional?

Have you considered architect?
I have no knowledge of IT but in my space it would fit.

They are mostly interchangeable, pick the one most suited for the job you are applying for :slight_smile:

1 Like

As long as you are qualified for the position you are applying for (not inflating experience with a title), use the same title they use on the advert for the job/job description.

Those are all interchangeable with the exception of developer and engineer. In some places you require a degree to be considered and legally use the engineer title, in others it doesn’t matter and they are used interchangeably.

2 Likes

Dammit, forgot about that one…yes I guess I have been an architect as well. :smiley:

Yes well I live in Sweden so here people more or less never use titles and there is certainly no laws regulating that stuff.

I’m actually not applying for any specific job at the moment. I recently quit my current job and is going to a new consulting company that wants me fill in their own cv template. So in my CV I have specified the titles I have had during my past assignments. But I also need to put something in the top right corner, kinda like a “generic” title or whatever you wanna call it.

But I am thinking of putting System Developer. In my mind, backend is more about supporting frontends. Many of the systems I have been working does not have any frontend at all. Also, is it called System Developer or Systems Developer? I have seen both and I am not sure what to pick.

If it’s a generic title and not tailored to specific job you are applying for, I don’t think it really matters which one you go with.

I’d pick one of the less specific ones, so software or systems and not add backend.

You have a degree so I think that engineer is preferable.

There might be a difference in your country around the definition of systems vs software, but based on your reply I don’t think that will matter over there.

Over here it’s systems. But I’d recommend getting some more replies here before deciding.

That settles it, I will put Systems Developer there. Then I can just change it to whatever assignment I want to pursuit.

The title on my degree says this:

“Bachelor of Science in Computer with a Major in Computer Science with specialization in Systems Development”

Systems is probably correct. So I don’t think that I am officially an engineer but I have been called it many times.

3 Likes

Based on my reading of the choices offered:
Software Developers are colloquially known as coders.
Software Engineers are a subset who either have formal training or are otherwise versed in development methodologies and practices. (ie. can do project management and organize small effective teams of people in order to deliver multi quarter or multi year projects).
Frontend/Backend/Systems Software developers/engineers are those that focus versed in human-programme/programme-programme/machine-os interactions.
Backend developers/engineers sometimes fork into backend app developers/engineers and backend infra developers/engineers.

If you work across the spectrum, write full stack.

If you help to publish scientific papers, write down researcher.

“Systems” would be hacking up kernels/drivers/distributions.

So “infrastructure developer” or “infrastructure engineer” in your case, and if you have experience leading projects or managing teams spell it out. Manager/engineering skillset is often transferable between many niches of development. (excluding security/networking where it depends because of quirky nature of talent or unusually large amount of vendor interactions).

Wizard

2 Likes

I guess that your degree qualifies you as system developer. I don’t know how your CV is structured but I’ve never heard of a title needed for it. It’s just your name and what you did.
But if you have to choose between one of the titles you mentioned just go with the one that give you the better chance for your CV to be reviewed.

Personally, I like to use general titles that are recognized by lots of the bigger companies. The smaller companies usually follow suite. Remember if you are looking for a job you need to get by the HR hurdle first, so using words they understand is important.

So if you are a Developer with 5 years of experience I’d suggest “Software Development Engineer” (SDE). That is used by Microsoft, Amazon, Expedia and Dell I know for sure. Most other places are familiar with it. Depending on how good you are (or if you have another 2 or 3 years along stick Senior on the front).

I usually go with “Lord and Savior” myself.

1 Like